RakNet

Started by
19 comments, last by hplus0603 18 years, 10 months ago
Have any of you used Raknet? Is it easy to learn? I know the basics of winsock/socket programming, and I'd like to use RakNet since it uses UDP and is portable so they say. I just wanted to know you're guys' opinion, if not, what other library do you recommend? Or do you just use the winsock library? Thanks.
Advertisement
I use it, and have found it really easy to use.

My advice: Try it yourself. It is very easy to integrate into a project, so try it out, read over the manual, and you'll get to see if it is what you're looking for.
-------------------------Rayoom Sledge Hammer Productions - Programmer
Thanks, is it pretty easy to learn? I'd just like to know a bit more but thanks anyways bud.
I'm also a bit curious, how about performance?
Quote:Original post by x_gamer_x
really easy to use.

very easy to integrate into a project

-------------------------Rayoom Sledge Hammer Productions - Programmer
i think learning RakNet is really easy.
before i use RakNet, i've never learned winsock, but i found that's not a trouble from using RakNet.
do you know any open source projects using Raknet expect DemonBattle? and i really want to know its performance on a MMO? thx
+-+-+-+-+-STR
I wanted to use RakNet, but couldn't get it to compile under msvc++ 5.. I'd love to use it, but no-one could give me any support on getting it to work under this compiler, and I'm currently strapped for money.. so no new compiler. But the best thing to do would be look at the information on the RakNet website, and trawl through the forums. If you can get it to compile, all the stuff you need is on that site.
I wont recommand RakNet for a MMO, when you initialize RakNet to accept 5000 connections it takes 2 Go of memory ...
I reviewed it a couple of years ago.

http://www.gamedev.net/features/reviews/productreview.asp?productid=220

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement