[web] php for games...

Started by
32 comments, last by Etnu 18 years, 10 months ago
is it possible to make good games with PHP (i want to try to make a multiplayer game...) ?
Advertisement
Most definately. In fact, many online web-based games use PHP primarily as its backend. I recently took a quick look through PHP Game Programming by Matt Rutledge and he has you design a lemonade stand multiplayer game at the end of the book. You could pick that one up. Hope it helps.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
ok thx! i was wondering a long time how i could make multiplayer games on web. is it also maybe posible to make massa multiplayer, and does it support 3D gfx ?
PHP is a server-side scripting language, so to do anything client-side (like real-time graphics and playing sounds) you'd need to work with a different medium, like Flash or &#106avascript.
but, Flash doesnt support 3D gfx and you also cant make multiplayer games with it (you mean something like FlashMX ?)
You *can* make multiplayer games with Flash. (See UrbanSquall)
But as it seems you need something more powerful than Flash, I'd suggest ShockWave.
but for shockwave i should need Indicator isnt? and i havent...
but is it possible to make a massa multiplayer game with 2D gfx and music with PHP?
Quote:Original post by Fenryl
but is it possible to make a massa multiplayer game with 2D gfx and music with PHP?

No. As I said before, PHP is server-side but the things you want to achieve have to be done client-side.

[edit]Added the quote.

[Edited by - Pipo DeClown on May 29, 2005 3:20:22 AM]
Absolutely possible to make games using PHP.

Because of how it's used (i.e. typically server-side), it generally lends itself to turn-based strategy / resource management games, played over the web.

These usually have only simple graphics (for instance, those created inside the web browser, or simple images created server-side). If you plan on doing something that uses realtime 2d or 3d graphics, I recommend that you use something else.

That doesn't mean you can't use PHP for other parts of your game.

Mark
PHP is typically used for browser based games and things that can only be rendered with HTML. However like the above poster said, you can use PHP for other parts of your game. I've seen some pretty cool things done with people storing highscores and users in a MySQL database and then being able to have a PHP administrator so they can keep tabs on their game without nessisarily needing an administrative client.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement