Not sure what to read next

Started by
7 comments, last by clockwise 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I was wondering what topic or book I should look into to design a game. I want to design something cheap like tetris. I have a strong background in java and recently learned C++. I havent learned "Windows Programming" yet, but from what I read many game programming books tell you what you need to use form the windows api. I already know how to make games like tic-tac-toe and want to get into 2d game design / graphics such as Tetris and various other games with NES/SNES graphics. Thanks in advance
Advertisement
Well, for the windows API, there is none better (that I've read at least) than theForger's tutorial here.

Other than that, take in all of the knowledge on this site. Check out all of the articles.

Good Luck in your quest for knowledge,
Jeff
SDL will make 2D games like tetris a snap! I really don't see a reason for people to begin learning win32 api nowadays:

1.) It's overly complicated (and, in my opinion, ugly)
2.) It's not cross-platform (where SDL and allegro are)
3.) It will soon be overshadowed on Windows by .NET anyway...
This one.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

So the win32 API wont really be used in the future(for gaming)?
I walked away from the win32 API when I first started programming, years ago, and I have not regretted it since. I find it to be a wretched API to begin with. When I did program windows apps, I just used MFC to do it all. Now that I do games I use SDL to do everything. Even 3d using OpenGL, and as I understand it, you can us DirectX in SDL as well. Not that I know how.
----------------------------------------------------------No matter how eloquently you state your argument, the fact remains that the toilet seat is a bistable device. Therefore it's natural position is no more down than it is up.[SDL Smooth Tile Scrolling]
Win32/MFC are absolutely terrible. Unless you plan to make programs specifically targeting Windows, there is no need to use it (luckily). I do hear .Net is better though, I haven't tried it.

Win32/MFC is horrendously complicated, all-over-the-place code, and it's some weird form of OOP for absolutely everything - you can forget your nice easy procedural solution.

I'd second SDL. It's brilliant, it does virtually everything. And you can use it to initialise OpenGL and do some things in 3D too.
what is SDL?
is it a language or an API?
is it better than C++?
SDL(Simple DirectMedia Layer) is an API for writing multimedia applications. Games, Movie Players, etc. Its mostly useful for games I think. Check it out if you use c/c++ to write games, its really good [link]http://www.libsdl.org[/link]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement