Is it just me or is ogre extremely slow?

Started by
2 comments, last by hplus0603 18 years, 10 months ago
I don’t have much ogre experience. In fact, I just started it and I can’t even set up a project file without getting an assertion error. I did, however, compile the sample skeletal animation project and it went incredibly slow. I have done skeletal animation with openGL myself with the same vertex count and it has never gone that slow. Is it just me or is this just a general problem with ogre? Btw, I’m using a Dell Inspiron 8100 hundred laptop 866 mhz, 32 MB Geforce2 go graphics card and 512 RAM.
-----------------------------Download my real time 3D RPG.
Advertisement
What FPS are you getting? It might be a matter of not having the latest video crad drivers which could affect performance. Try a different rendering API or screen resolution/colour depth and see if that has impact on performance.
Skinning with Ogre I would rate between awful and horrible quite honestly.

Their is not the same support level that you would find in D3DX thats for sure, the software skinning is really bad, no FFP skinning, and the only way to get any semi-decent performance is writing shaders.

There are also some problems using complex skeletal animation and the like with animation lengths and non-bind returning animations as it will loop to frame one.
The software skinning of Ogre is pretty slow. As you have a GeForce 2, your card can't do shaders. If you want to do lots of characters, then you will have to optimize the Ogre system at some point before release. However, I decided to just live with the warts while developing on my own, because it's so much easier to just get stuff done, rather than worry about performance too much. I know I can make it faster if I ever need to.

Regarding FFP skinning, that's just a bad idea. It causes so much batching overhead, that intelligent software skinning is likely to beat it anyway (even in D3DX).

Another thing to watch out for: batching overhead from multiple materials/material groups. Make sure you weld your model into a single material before exporting, so that there's a single sub-mesh in the mesh viewer. Else the performance will be worse than it has to be.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement