OpenGL mentor/code-buddy wanted.

Started by
5 comments, last by Darragh 18 years, 10 months ago
I've been working on a software 2D library for so long I dream in ASM. And while it's nearing public release of this behemoth of 2D graphics, we're having a bit of a breather. And I've started looking at NeHe, and flicking through the pages of my "Beginning OpenGL Game Programming". And thinking about reviving an age old project of mine. So I had this idea. I'd like to create a SIMPLE game framework, maybe a first person walk around in Wolfenstein 3D style, nothing flashy. But something with rudimentary collision detection so you can walk around in a maze. And then use this to test various effects. Try coding some light and shadow effects, particle systems, bumpmapping(whatever's the top of the range bumpmapping this week). You name it, whatever either of us feels like trying. Point being that we have a "real" game framework to add it to, instead of a spinning cube. What I have: * Basic understanding of OGL from the aforementioned book, and NeHe. * A running rudimentary framework based on NeHe with parts from the book. With deltatime framerate independent movement/animation. Text output via WGL, and GLee extension support. * PNG texture loading. What I don't have: * ANY idea how 3D math, matrices and quaternions work ;) * Map/Model loading * Camera control * Well, I'm a noob at 3D and OGL... There isn't much I DO have yet. I'm looking for someone who'd like to have IM converstaions, and/or VoIP(TeamSpeak/Skype) conversations about OGL. While working together on this little project. I've found that working with VoIP and shared desktop so you both can see the code is excellent for tutoring and idea sharing, so this is my prefered method. But plain IM conversations and sharing the code would work too. I'm Windows XP based, working in Visual Studio 6, writing mainly in C (and ASM) so C would be the language of choice.
JRA GameDev Website//Bad Maniac
Advertisement
*bump*
Well I'm currently working on a Wolf3D style game so I can supply you with some code if you want it. Send me a PM and i'll e-mail the source. This is my first project, and hopefully i should get to finish it sometime soon. The code is all in java though, so this may or may not be a problem for you. Though if you can understand C then I think you should be able to understand some java code.

Here are some screenshots from the current version:

The following things in the game are more or less complete:

- Basic enemy AI: movement and firing
- Bullet hits and guns
- Simple bounding box collision detection
- Area portaling- the map gets partitioned into separate 'rooms'.
- Sound via OpenAL.
- The map renderer
- MD2 loading and animation
- Simple particles (done via a vertex shader)
- Level editor for making maps
- Doors and sliding tiles like those in WOLF3D

And I still have to do the following:

- Basic menu structure
- Map for finding your way around
- Load / Save game
- Loading screens, end of level screens, game over screens etc..
- The player doesn't die yet!
- Model some new weapons and monsters (I only have one of each at the moment)
- Add 'end of level tile' and doors locked with keys.
- Add pickupable items such as health and ammmo.
That looks awesome if you ask me! :)
Sadly, since my understandng of 3D is limited, I doubt raw sourcecode would do me much good, especially in a "foreign" language, even if Java is similar to C in many ways.

If you would like to tutor me a bit, then I'd be interested, maybe write a C port of that game of yours, and learning by doing. What do you think? how good is your C knowledge, and would have the patience to tutor a total newcomer?
Darragh, lookin good. Hey, would you mind sharing your md2 loading source with me? I've gone through about 3 implementations, and ive screwed it up 3 times see this thread: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=295128

Anywho, theres that bruce willis model ive always wanted to use in my game ;-) and i figure i could use a little inspiration, so i wouldnt mind takin a look at that source.

thanks a ton
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
Bad Maniac, I'm interested and have also sent you an email. Though I use C++ I don't mind working with C.
Any way email me or contact me on msn, rhysbj1@hotmail.com.
____________________________________________________________Programmers Resource Central
Quote:Original post by Bad Maniac
That looks awesome if you ask me! :)

Thanks man. Appreciate the comments!

Sadly, since my understandng of 3D is limited

But so is mine!.. [smile] When I first started this project a few months ago i knew nothing of 3D, nothing about AI, nothing about collision detection, nothing about sound, never done file reading/writing.. All I had was a very basic understanding of java. The most complicated program I wrote before this was a simple command line calculator for a college project. When I first sat down to write a game I decided my first project would have to be something simple like pong.

Now, halfway through making pong I got really really fed up and decided I wanted to do something less boring. I wanted 3D mazes, monsters and guns just like in my favorite games Doom and Wolfenstein. So I decided to take a leap and go for 3D, probably not a wise move- but I was determined to do it anyway.

After looking at a few tutorials on the basics of 3D (mostly here on gamedev) I managed to get some polygons rotating around in 3D. This was all done in software. A short while later I decided that I wanted hardware acceleration so I took up learning OpenGL. After that, I continued to scour the web for articles and tutorials relating to OpenGL. Bit by bit my knowledge grew and I was able to do more stuff with the game...

Ultimately, my point to you is, do not be disheartened! What you see in those screenshots is very much achievable- even for an absolute beginner.. Heck, i was an absolute beginner when I first started this! You can do it, all you need is a little determination..

I doubt raw sourcecode would do me much good, especially in a "foreign" language, even if Java is similar to C in many ways.

If you would like to tutor me a bit, then I'd be interested, maybe write a C port of that game of yours, and learning by doing. What do you think? how good is your C knowledge, and would have the patience to tutor a total newcomer?

Well if you have any questions then i'd be happy to try and answer them to the best of my ability. I'm no OpenGL expert myself and there are many on this website who know a lot more than me- but i'd be glad to help anyway. I couldn't possibly do any VO/IP conversations or anything like that since i'm only on a dialup connection, but if you e-mail me then I can try and answer your questions. Bear in mind though that I know little of the C language so I probably won't be able to help with the actual setting up of the OpenGL display, since C handles this very differently to java. But for general GL questions I may be able to help.

Quote:Ademan555
Darragh, lookin good. Hey, would you mind sharing your md2 loading source with me? I've gone through about 3 implementations, and ive screwed it up 3 times see this thread:

No problem. I'll send the code to you in an e-mail. There is one thing about the loader though, I think java has a different byte ordering scheme to C so I had reverse the bytes for every piece of information read from the file. I think you can ignore this part if you're writing in C...

Hopefully it should help..

Quote:Ademan555
Anywho, theres that bruce willis model ive always wanted to use in my game ;-)

Sounds interesting. Is it a die hard game ? [smile]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement