Full Sail Updates

Started by
18 comments, last by _jinx_ 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi everyone. I am considering attending Full Sail for the game design program soon and I was wondering if anyone had information about if their equipment (computers, mixers, etc. ) was going to be updated any time soon. It seems it may be a little outdated by now.
Advertisement
Sorry, I don't have information on me, but if you write them or send them an email, they will be more than happy to tell you everything that they use and are interested in. When I had shown interest with them a few years back, I just got loads of information, so they are very generous! Just tell them what you are interested in [wink]
I live near fullsail and I have heard good things from the students that attend there. they have 24 hour class schedule so you could have class at litterally any time. I believe ulitmately what makes someone successfull is not what school he or she attends, rather it is that person which makes a difference.

These tears..leave scars...as they run down my face.
I am currently attending Full Sail. I have been here for four months now. As far as specs go for Game Development you get your own laptop. From what I hear is that they get upgrades every four or five months. The ones we got were HP 2GZ 512MB Ram and it’s also widescreen. Plus a copy of Visual Studio .Net and MS Office

As for other aspects of the school I can only say great things about the school. I’m currently 23 years old and before coming to Full Sail I was a Computer Science student at Florida State University. Without going on a fifty page tirade about school let me just tell you that Full Sail has been more then I expected.

Hope this helps

Anyone feel free to email me at dean@jandrew.net

Thanks
The school itself looks awesome.

What worries me is that there is no mandatory GPA, or SAT requirement to get in (or at least the website makes it appear that way). Does this mean that the school could be equated to a junior college?

How is it possible that you can earn a BS degree in only 21 months?
i go to full sail..they update the machines every two months or so, what you get will not be outdated by any means and you can fully purchase it at the end of your schooling for a hundred bucks...

there is no GPA or SAT requirement...only HS diploma or equivelant. This does not mean its easy or any less a college. No the credits do not transfer as no one offers the same type of degree as full sail offers. This does not mean any employers take you less seriously or that its harder to acquire a job. IN fact the interest in full sail is growing steadily and the game design program has one of the highest placement rates of the school...

BS is achieved in 21 months...yes...HOW!? Ill tell you...I dont go to class three days a wekk for 2 hrs a day like normal colleges...i go for 5-6 days a week for a minimum of 8 hrs a day...attendance in full sail is strict....regular colleges you can skip classes...pass the final...and pass the class.....WRONG...in full sail you must atend 90% of your classes or you fail instantly...it is a harder school than you think...if youre not ready..dont go...it is a good school regarldess of the jive the failures spit at you on other forums or on hate sites...they couldnt hack it or didnt apply themslves to finding a job and thought full sail would gift wrap it for them....any other questions?
We have youth, how about a fountain of smart.e4 e5 f4 d5
Quote:Original post by Tang of the Mountain
there is no GPA or SAT requirement...only HS diploma or equivelant. This does not mean its easy or any less a college. No the credits do not transfer as no one offers the same type of degree as full sail offers. This does not mean any employers take you less seriously or that its harder to acquire a job. IN fact the interest in full sail is growing steadily and the game design program has one of the highest placement rates of the school...

Well this is certianly wrong. UAT in Arizona offers credits that *could* transfer (it depends on the college, i.e., programming credits should transfer) and it offers a similar degree. Actually, they offer two degrees: one in Game Programming and one in Game Design. I've heard a lot of problems with people getting a job out of Full Sail--most of the people who do get jobs are because of things they do in their free time (i.e. mods, games, etc) and not from their degree at all.

The only beef I have with Full Sail is the problems I've heard about people getting jobs, and the fact that they lie about their stats of graduates. They claim (to my face, at a college seminar) that 80 percent of graduates get jobs directly out of college--what they don't tell you though is that Mc Donald's and Burger King qualify as jobs in their case study. The SAT scores are a bit of a moot topic, UAT has a minimum SAT score but they will waive it if you offer some sort of prior experience.

I'm currently going for a B.S. degree in Computer Science, and I will most likely attend Guildhall @ SMU when I'm done with my degree program (if I think I still need to). I believe you'll learn more about programming (what I want to focus on) at a college designed for it and not something designed for a specific area of it. I'm hoping (in the fall) to transfer to Drexel University in Philadelphia who has good program for both Software Engineering and Computer Science.

The choice is up to you though. I took the *real* degree approach because I wanted to have the experience in programming and not just game programming. Most companies want some sort of prior programming work experience, and a Computer Science degree will get you that prior job experience. But, like I said, ultimately it is up to you. The industry is a hard place to get into, but it is an even harder place to stay into. You always need something to fall back on.
-John "bKT" Bellone [homepage] [[email=j.bellone@flipsidesoftware.com]email[/email]]
consequently...full sail has a 'real' degree...and learn more than game coding? Ive learned about embedded systems, netowrking, databasing, tools programming, so you cant realy say what you will and will not learn at full sail(or any school) if you havent gone there. In fact a friend of mine just got a job recently at a medical databasing company...

you are right...it is up to you...but as I said you could go to MIT and lose a job to a community college grad because he spent all his time programming and learing on his own and you.........didnt...so it has no real pull which type of degree you have ro what school you attended and many an employer will back me on this....no one cares if you are a harvard grad with two masters...if you cant do what it is they want you to do how they want it done...you are worth less than nothing to them...its all about what you CAN do and show them...not where you schooled or what type of degree you have....IMHO

full sail does have a high placement rate...of people who work with them and do their part to get a real job....full sail doesnt try and get you placed at mcdonalds...you go to mcdonalds because you slacked off in school and cheated or whatever to pass and now you grduated and you suck cause you are a loser.....and want stuff handed to you....

In all....i will repeat yet again...its not where you go to school....everything boils down to you and your desire...you eagerness to learn when your buddy is playing wow all weekend...youre need to jump ahead 5 chapters in your c++ primer and do some data structures when youre class is still learning how to write a for loop....im not pushing full sail by any means...dont get me wrong im no car salesman....you are the only real factor in your future...plain and simple
We have youth, how about a fountain of smart.e4 e5 f4 d5
Heh. Man are you in for a suprise!

Employers? Hiring based on actual skill?!? HAH!
Quote:Original post by Tang of the Mountain
consequently...full sail has a 'real' degree...and learn more than game coding? Ive learned about embedded systems, netowrking, databasing, tools programming, so you cant realy say what you will and will not learn at full sail(or any school) if you havent gone there. In fact a friend of mine just got a job recently at a medical databasing company...

I'm sorry, but if it doesn't trasnfer, and it isn't a common degree--then it is not a real degree. You can't extend this degree and get a Masters, or Doctorate. I never said anything about MIT, but they would definately be a better choice than Full Sail. If you have the chance (and money) to go to MIT, then you better be going there. All you have is your degree at first, especially with the first job you get, after that is when people start looking at your previous experience. Your degree absolutely does matter.

Of course Full Sail doesn't try to get you placed at Mc Donalds, but their case study and all the statistics they through out about after college job include Mc Donalds and Burger King. Ask them. I have, and this is the main reason why I didn't go to Full Sail. Not everyone that graduates out of Full Sail is going to get a job, just like not everyone that graduates out of a real college is going to get a job (in their industry). Where ever you go you're going to need to work at it, but its going to be the portfolio that you put together not what Full Sail teaches you that is going to land you that job.

IMO if you're jacking all that money out for Full Sail, you should damn well know C++ like the back of your hand before you go there. There should not be any question about that. You're going to need to work wherever you go, but it is my suggestion that you go to a real college and not a technology prep school (or whatever you wish to call it). Full Sail is basically just a Lincoln Institute for Game Design.
-John "bKT" Bellone [homepage] [[email=j.bellone@flipsidesoftware.com]email[/email]]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement