Do I need to learn a scripting language?

Started by
5 comments, last by skyfire 18 years, 10 months ago
I'm a beginning student in game design, and someone suggested that I begin scripting as soon as possible, so I have been researching scripting online. I know that there are engine-specific scripting languages and pre-existing scripting languaes like Lua. My question is: Should I learn one of these pre-existing languages, or should I wait until I'm creating a Mod to learn the engine-specific language? My guess is that every game engine has its own scripting language and that, therefore, learning a pre-existing language won't be very useful when I get a job some day. But I could use some help concerning what I should do now, in my student years, to learn scripting. Thanks in advance. : )
Advertisement
I'd say wait. There is no standard scripting language and the details of how you use them varies significantly from one project to the next. You will find that languages like Lua are actually used in several games, including commercial ones, but whether that is enough for you to want to spend time learning the syntax when it's largely useless without the game itself is another matter.

I seem to recall that UnrealScript was a nice language to start with if you really wanted to go down this route, since it comes bundled with the game and you can see quick results.
I think I'll try working with Neverwinter Nights' scripting language. But, yeah, learning a scripting language without a game would be pointless. Doh! :P
Heh, learn C++ right now... It's the most used language. You'll probably end up coding the engine or a part of it. Plus if your working with an already made engine, it's probably open-source and even if it's a .dll or something, you'll probably have to code it in the same language. Once you've learned C++ by the way, you'll have programming down and you can learn other languages in a matter of a day or 2.
Java isn't such a bad idea to start with, given that it's a good intro to Object-Oriented programming. Fosters good discipline.

Scripting languages are probably getting more important, however. There's an awful lot you can do without going anywhere near C++ or a compiler.
Quote:Original post by BryanParrish
I think I'll try working with Neverwinter Nights' scripting language. But, yeah, learning a scripting language without a game would be pointless. Doh! :P

Basic programming would be good if you arent already experienced in C++ or Java.

Most languages do many things the same, and being familiar with language features will help with whatever script language you eventually wind up using.

NWN is pretty good because you will also be familiarized with one flavor of higher level implementation (how script is tied to the game engine) and to the level editing process.

i use blitz 3d. it's extremly easy to use but it costs $100. it allows you to develop games in 2d and in 3d.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement