Wow - Age of Empires 3

Started by
25 comments, last by tolaris 18 years, 10 months ago
Look at its graphics - especially the water! How do you think they did all of the water in that much detail? Render to texture with pixel shader? For that size of water body? It's certainly amazing! What do you think? EDIT: and all the physics and AI too! I'm sure it would have been a massive design headache!
Advertisement
Guildwars has the same thing, only they don't use it as much (due to the lower viewpoint)
Moved to "Graphics programming and Theory"

I was given a demo of this at E3 and it totally blew me away. The graphics are certainly incredible, but it was the physics that made it. Cannon balls would toss troops high into the air (with full ragdoll), tear through building roofs and pass out the other side, finally splashing into the water. If a tree gets hit, it will fall over landing onto the building too (but wont actually cause any damage - these effects are visual so far). The number of units was exciting too (more than Age of Mythology).

Generally it was boners all round for me and my mates. Although not literaly, that would be weird.

T
The way the water moves, it looks like maybe it's a displacement map with a reflecting shader.

The physics is Havok, as you can see on their site.
<edit>Woops! Wudan beat me :(</edit>

Quote:Original post by DrGUI
and all the physics and AI too! I'm sure it would have been a massive design headache!

Well, IIRC, the physics are done with Havok 2, so they got it easy there.
yeah it looks great, and the physics look cool too. i wonder if the building damage is precalulated or realtime physics though. i suspect the former largely, cos the latter, while certainly cool, would be hard to unify with the rest of the game im afraid.

anyway, you mentioned AI, but i have yet to see any of that.

most likely it will be the same shitty piece of rts AI code gameprogrammers seem to have been passing around since the invention of the RTS. give the computer double the amount of resources, let it try a couple of lame rushes, then when all scripted actions are exhausted... well nothing really. just some gay nonfocussed attacks, aka certain victory for you.

i dont know a single RTS that doesnt fit this pattern. now that im thinking of it, civilization is probably the only strategy game with what id call AI.

anyway im getting off topic. certainly an interesting game, now all i need is a rig that will play it :)
It's certainly amazing!

It damn well better be, in the latest issue of Pc Zone (UK) they mention that one programmer worked on that water for the majority of a year :)
Quote:Original post by Drazgal
It's certainly amazing!

It damn well better be, in the latest issue of Pc Zone (UK) they mention that one programmer worked on that water for the majority of a year :)

he should just have read yanns articles and he could have been done so much quicker :)
Quote:Original post by Tessellator
I was given a demo of this at E3 and it totally blew me away. The graphics are certainly incredible, but it was the physics that made it. Cannon balls would toss troops high into the air (with full ragdoll), tear through building roofs and pass out the other side, finally splashing into the water. If a tree gets hit, it will fall over landing onto the building too (but wont actually cause any damage - these effects are visual so far). The number of units was exciting too (more than Age of Mythology).

Generally it was boners all round for me and my mates. Although not literaly, that would be weird.

T

If it actually caused damage that would be really cool. Add another aspect to the game. If they do that I will get a boner, literally.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement