getting things to always face camera

Started by
3 comments, last by ScootA 18 years, 10 months ago
i'm not looking for code. i'm writing a desktop enviroment for linux, but i'm working on a particle engine for it at the moment, so far it works great, slowly adding features to it. now i am looking for a direction to search for to get each particle facing the camera at all times.
Advertisement
If I remember correctly what you are looking for is called "billboarding"...I think. I could be wrong.
C_C(Enter witty/insightful/profound remark here...)
well i saw that, and the books that i have on opengl says billboarding will make the size be the same no matter how far an object is away. maybe that's just an ability of it. i guess i will have to look into it further unless someone else posts something. thanks for the input though.
Quote:Original post by hogosha
well i saw that, and the books that i have on opengl says billboarding will make the size be the same no matter how far an object is away. maybe that's just an ability of it. i guess i will have to look into it further unless someone else posts something. thanks for the input though.

Billboarding has nothing to do with size, it's only purpose is to keep a polygon oriented towards the camera. Billboarding is exactly what you are looking for.

See this article for more information.
Its pretty simple, just transform whatever you want facing the camera by the inverse view matrix - dunno what that is in GL, im a DX guy.
-Scoot

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement