Next-Gen?

Started by
17 comments, last by WeirdoFu 18 years, 10 months ago
I was just wondering, are any dev teams currently designing a next-gen game? Are there any indie dev teams that have considered seriously the prospect of developing for the next-gen market?
[email=wastedhours@gmail.com]-steve[/email]_______________________Freelance Game Journalist / Designer / Occasional Game Developer[GamingHours.com] [RandomlyAccessed]
Advertisement
What do you mean by next-gen exactly?
C_C(Enter witty/insightful/profound remark here...)
i believe he means Revolution, PS3 and Xbox 360.
I wonder how long we will have to wait for games to come after the first batch is sold. It seems like a whole lot of detail will have to be put in each game, by default. I guess Nintendo had the right idea after all by not boasting about the graphical capabilities of their system.

As far as indie programmers go.... they will need at least 10 people to even make a next-gen quality games. I guesstimate 20 though.

I'll be sticking with Dreamcast and N-Gage games for the time being. Seems more feasible.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Yeah, as in consoles, or as the CryTek Tech Demo shows 64-bit, next-gen PC.

Are there any indie designers, currently fleshing out a next gen idea?
Don't have to give details, I'm just interested if there are any in peoples heads.
[email=wastedhours@gmail.com]-steve[/email]_______________________Freelance Game Journalist / Designer / Occasional Game Developer[GamingHours.com] [RandomlyAccessed]
Knowing that it's kinda hard for indies to get the kits to develop on those consoles, that there are mostly indies in this forum, and that the consoles haven't even been released, I don't think anyone is working on a game for one of those consoles.
fair points, but i was just refferring to designing, as in producing a GDD.
Also i was refferring to PC next-gen.
Ideas, certainly - but the sheer amount of work required to actually make a next-gen game makes it pretty much totally prohibitive for the homebrew guys.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

lets see...Treasure ported Ikaruga to both the Dreamcast and Gamecube, not to mention both the Dreamcast and the N64 saw thier 2D blast fest Bangai-O. Metal Slug 3 is out now for the PSX2...there was Chu-Chu-Rocket, and countless versions of old arcade and console games emulated for modern console hardware (Williams Classics volume 1 and 2, Final Fantasy collection, etc..)

None of those games required huge teams to develop...and they got released on consoles once considered Next-Gen and have sold reasonably well...so apart from the lack of available dev kits, it's entirely possable for a small indie team to make a game for next-gen hardware...of course such small teams couldn't compete head to head with the likes of GTA, Halo, Final Fantasy, etc...but they certainly could take advantage of the market nitche currently served by Bangai-O, Chu-Chu-Rocket, and Ikaruga...

If you consider hybrid style game-play next-gen then I am kinda in that crowd. Here is the thread for my game idea. Right now it's just a concept but hopefully in the next 2 years you'll be able to see it come together.

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=321713
Quote:Original post by MSW
None of those games required huge teams to develop...and they got released on consoles once considered Next-Gen and have sold reasonably well...so apart from the lack of available dev kits, it's entirely possable for a small indie team to make a game for next-gen hardware...

You're kidding me, right? "Once considered next gen?" Yes, they were. What does that have to do with anything?

When it came out, 256-color VGA graphics was 'next gen.'

We're talking about the current next-gen, not the past stuff. The current next-gen which is a markedly different ballgame from your Dreamcast hacking.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement