I think it this would be a useful addition to Visual Studio

Started by
3 comments, last by Conner McCloud 18 years, 10 months ago
This may be in 2005, i dont have that. Anyhoo, i was thinking that often you want to start a new solution but want to include a common framework you have written as a separate solution. Well i do anyhoo. I was thinking that maybe there could be a check box where you Add Existing Project that would enabled Visual Studio to copy the project to the new solutions folder as well as add the project to the solution. This would save having to navigate the directories. What do you think? ace
Advertisement
Compile your framework as a static lib, and put your headers' directory in your current project's directory search, and link this library. It will greatly reduce compile times too when you press Ctrl+F11 (or rebuild all, anyway).
The main problem is that most of the time you don't want to copy the foreign project but rather just reference (include) it instead.
I actually do build it as a static library anyway.

I suppose i could just give the framework a new permanent home.

ace
It is possible to create your own project templates that do such things for you. I never have, since I find having a common library folder that is added to the global include/library directories is considerably easier. But if you have your heart set on it I'm sure Google can point you in the right direction.

CM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement