OpenGL ActiveX component

Started by
9 comments, last by Chrysaor 18 years, 10 months ago
Hey guys, Lets start off by saying that I'm not sure if this is in the right section, so I apologize if its not. Ok, now for the part i need help with. Ok, is an opengl activex component possible? My employer wants me to write a gui that will renders some opengl stuff to the screen (not sure i can say what.. but lets say some low poly models and data). Anyways, as a stand alone program, its doesnt seem that complicated. However, they asked me the possibility of an opengl activex component for web deployment. I know nothing of activex componenents. I started to reseach them this weekend, and from what i've read, it seems like its possible. Most sites describe them as like more powerful java applets for many languages. But, since this is for the web, wont the activex component get big and thus, not download friendly, if you start adding the OpenGL library? Anyways, i'd appreciate any input, whether its possible or not, and I thank you. Back to some more research for me!
Advertisement
Hi ,
I want to join you in this question , I want to know how this done :D .
I'll wait with you here till someone answer us :).
bye
I'm pretty sure it is possible, because I seem to recall finding an OpenGL activeX example on the net somewhere, years ago.

Sorry I can't give any more information than that, that's all I know.
Well it isn't so difficult to check. You write an empty ActiveX and try to use Platform Invoke to Win32 API - let's say ChoosePixelFormat. If it fails, try another API. If another one fails, most probably you can't use PInvoke, and then I don't think it can be done. If it succeedes, then in a few days you can have the Windows wrapper ready :))

And if you can wait until tomorrow (like ~12 hours), I'll try to make a VB6 ActiveX (I liked the idea of OpenGL in web).
Seems like it can be done. I made a .Net ActiveX DLL, and it works on my computer. The problem is that I don't know how to check if it works on other computers as well. I put the Object tag on the page, with the codebase parameter pointing to the DLL, but it doesn't seem to work. Any idea how to make IE download my DLL (and TLB as well if necessary) and register them, so I can use the control through CLSID?
Thx Seroja, I'll have to do some testing myself. However, I probably wont go the dll way. Forcing a dll download would probably cause all those anti spyware stuff to start to complain.

As for your question, I got very little knowledge in ActiveX programming so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be able to answer.

And I like the idea of OpenGl on the web too. When I was told of this, first thing I said was "Cool!". :)

Cheers,

Chrysaor

[Edited by - Chrysaor on May 30, 2005 9:36:56 AM]
Making an opengl activex is quite easy, the problem is that most probably no one will download it, for security reasons.
Might I suggest doing it as a embedded Java Applet rather then ActiveX? Applets can be run stand alone or right from inside a webpage, also they will run on ALL browsers not just IE. Also it can Linux and MacOS to view the webpage with the same accessibility.

A lot of people disable ActiveX controls from downloading and running as they are generally trusted by, I would guess, most people.

Mind you, if you can guarantee that all the people visiting your site use a recent version of Windows and IE and all allow for atleast prompting of running and installing ActiveX controls, then go for it!

As a side note, as you prolly know, Java does need its runtime libraries to downloaded on the client machines in order to be run, which might be a thing against using java.
Java applets aren't much better that ActiveX. They also can be harmful (I think), and I know users can disable them as well. I don't know if ActiveX works on other platforms except IE, but to OpenGL on other platforms you still need GLX/AGL code. But if you have a good java wrapper for those, then go for it.

As a side note, can't Mono run user controls as well as regular apps?

And I still would appreciate info about registering ActiveX controls, just to try it out by myself. I actually came upon the idea of having the control as a wrapper, and then the coding could be done in VB/Java script. That's almost coding games with HTML :P
As per java, I haven't used the opengl bindings, but I assumed that there would be cross platform ones, but even if it is made for windows only, atleast it'll work on more then IE.

As for ActiveX controls, best place for MS info is MS itself :)
Try looking on the MSDN (Microsoft Developer Network, link below) for anything that could help you.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/components/activex/activex_node_entry.asp

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement