Sign in to follow this  
tcrock

A Lil Advice

I plan on becoming a Game Programmer, as of now I know only how to program in Basic so what I wanted to know is what do you suggest I learn now??(In terms of prgramming languages geared towards game programming!)? Thanks for any help!

Because eventually he has to learn a language that can accually perform the task. To my knowledge the language standard for most games now is C/C++ and either DirectX or OGL. Ive found its a pretty big jump going from Basic to C/C++ and a language like Python is a good place to start learning the style and habits.

I dont know much about python but isn't it a higer lever language which means it will run less efficiently? for learnign type games Its not a big deal but why not just start off with something like C++. its not that hard andif you already know basic, you obviously get the gist of what programming is. I suggest just jumping into c++ or a similar industry standard language.

Quote:
Original post by Cannibal_Coder
Because eventually he has to learn a language that can accually perform the task. To my knowledge the language standard for most games now is C/C++ and either DirectX or OGL. Ive found its a pretty big jump going from Basic to C/C++ and a language like Python is a good place to start learning the style and habits.

true. it depends if he's doing as a hobby, indie work, or for industry work. if it's the first two then i think, IMHO, he should stick with BB or DB. if it's the last option, then yeah learning Python then a C-variant language would be more helpful. but then again that's what he has us and school for [grin]

Quote:
Original post by donjonson
I dont know much about python but isn't it a higer lever language which means it will run less efficiently? for learnign type games Its not a big deal but why not just start off with something like C++. its not that hard andif you already know basic, you obviously get the gist of what programming is. I suggest just jumping into c++ or a similar industry standard language.

no it won't run less efficiently. mind you C++ is a HLL too. though Python is a mix, from what i understand, of Java and Lua (again this is for comparison purposes). most likely he'll be taking more classes dealing with programming and will run across C, C++ and Java in due time. if he's wants to make games and is comfortable with Basic then i stick with my prior statements.

I know a little Python about as much as the average american knows spanish
not that much!!
I was thinking about learning C++ but is a hard language to learn??Is it something I can learn quick and then build upon it later??

Also I plan on learning this because Starting in Novemeber I have an internship and I would like to learn now so I dont have to hold them back waiting to learn!

SO what are the easiest languages to learn that are used in the programming industry other than C++ that would be beneficial??

I Agree With Alpha_ProgDes, when I first started writing games I used C/C++ because thats What I Knew, but I Found it Incredibly Difficult to Create Something. I Moved Over to BlitzBasic, and Boom, I Had my Own Little Space Invaders Clone Running in no Time. I Went Back to C/C++ Later, and it was Easier for me to Because I Learned to Translate the Code I had Written In Basic into C/C++, and I was more Confident. I Wrote the Same Game(Only Better) in C/C++, and it was Great. I'm Ranting now, but What I'm Saying is you've got Plenty of Time. Just Climb the Ladder, and Learn at your own Pace. Programming Games is Hard Stuff, and as you Grow you'll Tackle More Complex Stuff.

- ClockWise

If you already know BASIC, I would start out with FreeBASIC. It's basically like QBASIC, but it's 32-bit and supports OpenGL, SDL, and eventually DirectX. Not quite OOP, but very much like C. In fact, one way to describe it is C with the syntax of QBASIC. Very nice language, but almost no documentation.

The official site
The Official Forum

Once you get past FB, I would recommend moving on to C/C++. That's what I did, and I found the transition rather easy. But that's me, you'll probably be different. In the end, it all comes down to what you want to do. But, still, you have my recommendations.