A Lil Advice

Started by
9 comments, last by Oberon_Command 18 years, 10 months ago
I plan on becoming a Game Programmer, as of now I know only how to program in Basic so what I wanted to know is what do you suggest I learn now??(In terms of prgramming languages geared towards game programming!)? Thanks for any help!
Advertisement
if you know Basic, I say start with DarkBasic or BlitzBasic for game programming. They have all sorts of tutorials and you should be on your way in no time.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Personally Id say go with something like Python. Its a straight forward language and can use OGL. Also easily portable to C/C++ when you decide to take that step.
C_C(Enter witty/insightful/profound remark here...)
sorry for the side discussion:
why suggest C, OGL, or Python, or even Lisp (i know i'm stretching it)? if he's knows basic and there are APIs and SDKs that are in that language or variant of that language, why not suggest/use those?

Because eventually he has to learn a language that can accually perform the task. To my knowledge the language standard for most games now is C/C++ and either DirectX or OGL. Ive found its a pretty big jump going from Basic to C/C++ and a language like Python is a good place to start learning the style and habits.
C_C(Enter witty/insightful/profound remark here...)
I dont know much about python but isn't it a higer lever language which means it will run less efficiently? for learnign type games Its not a big deal but why not just start off with something like C++. its not that hard andif you already know basic, you obviously get the gist of what programming is. I suggest just jumping into c++ or a similar industry standard language.
These tears..leave scars...as they run down my face.
Quote:Original post by Cannibal_Coder
Because eventually he has to learn a language that can accually perform the task. To my knowledge the language standard for most games now is C/C++ and either DirectX or OGL. Ive found its a pretty big jump going from Basic to C/C++ and a language like Python is a good place to start learning the style and habits.

true. it depends if he's doing as a hobby, indie work, or for industry work. if it's the first two then i think, IMHO, he should stick with BB or DB. if it's the last option, then yeah learning Python then a C-variant language would be more helpful. but then again that's what he has us and school for [grin]

Quote:Original post by donjonson
I dont know much about python but isn't it a higer lever language which means it will run less efficiently? for learnign type games Its not a big deal but why not just start off with something like C++. its not that hard andif you already know basic, you obviously get the gist of what programming is. I suggest just jumping into c++ or a similar industry standard language.

no it won't run less efficiently. mind you C++ is a HLL too. though Python is a mix, from what i understand, of Java and Lua (again this is for comparison purposes). most likely he'll be taking more classes dealing with programming and will run across C, C++ and Java in due time. if he's wants to make games and is comfortable with Basic then i stick with my prior statements.

I know a little Python about as much as the average american knows spanish
not that much!!
I was thinking about learning C++ but is a hard language to learn??Is it something I can learn quick and then build upon it later??

Also I plan on learning this because Starting in Novemeber I have an internship and I would like to learn now so I dont have to hold them back waiting to learn!

SO what are the easiest languages to learn that are used in the programming industry other than C++ that would be beneficial??

I Agree With Alpha_ProgDes, when I first started writing games I used C/C++ because thats What I Knew, but I Found it Incredibly Difficult to Create Something. I Moved Over to BlitzBasic, and Boom, I Had my Own Little Space Invaders Clone Running in no Time. I Went Back to C/C++ Later, and it was Easier for me to Because I Learned to Translate the Code I had Written In Basic into C/C++, and I was more Confident. I Wrote the Same Game(Only Better) in C/C++, and it was Great. I'm Ranting now, but What I'm Saying is you've got Plenty of Time. Just Climb the Ladder, and Learn at your own Pace. Programming Games is Hard Stuff, and as you Grow you'll Tackle More Complex Stuff.

- ClockWise

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement