Begginer needs Advice

Started by
8 comments, last by DeltaBlue 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi yall... Ok, i need some help, and anything would be appreciated, thanks: Im 16, living in the UK and needing some direction, so ive decided to take up game development, and im just wondering: 1)http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/ - are those C++? 2)should i be using DevC++? 3)what are opportunities like in the UK, and in general? 4)What sort of qualifications, and skills will i need? 5)Good career to follow? 6)Ive heard that the game developers market has more developers than jobs, is this true? 7)Any other advice? Thanks, all contributions appreciated
Advertisement
Most of the Start Here is in C++. Go there and I think alot of your questions should be answered. (I havent looked through it much)
Dev-C++ is pretty good, but if you want to get a better compiler, buy microsoft's Visual C++. I've heard you can get the beta for free...
Usefull Links:__________________________________________________________________|GameDev.net FAQ|2d Game Tutorials|Nehe's OpenGL Tutorials||Cpp-Home.com|
k thanks man, what bout the rest any1 plz?
and ill try to get VC++ then...its coz i habe little money at my age...
I would not worry about "getting into the industry" too much at this stage. Concentrate on learning a programming language (it does not matter too much which is your first). Python is popular.

Edit: Also I would reccomend not buying MSVC before you know C++. There is a good chance you will regret it.
erm, actually...i need to decide soonish on my courses for next year...i finish my exams on june 24, so ill start straight after on C++...and see what i think,
and what other skills do i need, ive been told discrete maths, but i cant find an example of what this actually is
Correct me if I'm wrong here.
You should know physics for and any other math, like geometry (I guess).
As a first compiler, yes, Dev-C++ is what you should get. But IMHO, MSVC is much better. Google for anything else.
Usefull Links:__________________________________________________________________|GameDev.net FAQ|2d Game Tutorials|Nehe's OpenGL Tutorials||Cpp-Home.com|
ok, getting it so far i reckon...thanks, any more too?
Here are some qualifications and other stuff for programming carreers, it differs for every job, but this is an example:
Clicky!
just do all the maths you can find. don't bother with these rubbish IT a-levels (microsoft word, microsoft access...) until university (where you should do computer studies and maths).

discrete maths (now called decision maths) is the study of networks, computer algorithms and various other interesting tidbits.
i say do all maths as they are all useful mechanics (3D programming, action games), pure maths (general algorithms, large systems).

as for game industry in the uk. well it is third best in world i believe (Japan, US)
lol, i did decide to boycot the IT courses...
and i do know of some games being made here(GTA, wipeout, no more...)
thanks...really appreciated

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement