just a simple quick question

Started by
3 comments, last by furin121 18 years, 10 months ago
First, a quick background on me. I've been a web developer for several years (html, css, JS, etc.) and started using VB.Net about 6 months ago for web applications. About a week ago I bought a book on C# and am currently learning the in's and out's of it. I also have an order placed for a book on managed directx9. There are also several tutorials I'm doing that cover game programming while I'm learning. Given that I have all of these resources I'm using I'm sure I'd come across the answer to my question soon enough, but it's bugging me and I would like to know now. :) Question is: how do you get a 3d model into a game? I don't need (or want) a detailed description with code and all that. I'm just curious about the process. Do you have to have a way to convert the graphic into a 'readable' format for your language? Do you just include it like you would a picture? Things like that. A quick simple answer is all I need to cure my curiousity.Any comments would be appreciated.
Advertisement
3d models are done in software like the wellknown 3dsmax. The model are compose of 3d geometries datas like vertices (3d point, vector etc.), textures (pictures that recover geometries) etc. This models are exported in files which are read by the game engine.
"3d" pictures are generated by the 3d engine.
Thanks bud. That's what I was thinking but wanted to make sure. I'm guessing each 3d application exports in it's own format and would require someone to code exactly for that app. So if I wanted to use 3dsMax I would have to learn the format of the export file and then code my game engine around it.
You usually write your own 3d file format and exporter (using maxscript or by coding your own 3d editor) because 3dsmax file formats (like a lots of editor) are not in the public domain.
ahh Guess I was bassackwards. Thanks again for the input friend.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement