Sign in to follow this  
DarkMerchant

localization problem

ok, not sure where to post this so i'm putting it in the beginner forums because i've never dealt with this before. in my current class we have a 2 month game project, and right now we are about 1 month into it. We recently found out we had to localize our game to arabic to make the project a little more challenging. This means all the tools and in game assets have to be both in english and arabic. I'm just not really sure where to start on this. I'm thinking string tables for all of our tools ( which are MFC apps for the most part ). We also use bitmapped fonts for most of the text in our game. I was wondering if anyone knew of any good resources for finding a way to do the tranlsations other then a simple english - arabic dictionary. any help is appreciated thanks

Not sure about arabic specifically, but I think what is usually done for games that are translated into a wide variety of languages is that all the text is managed into classes of some sort, and their display is controlled through some function that allows you to select the appropriate text based on the language, for example:

class TextObject holds a text entry, in english and its arabic translation, and has some sort of unique key that is used to identify it within the game engine

function Display gets a TextObject based on a key passed to it. It selects the text (english/arabic) based on what the language setting of the game it.

When you send the text to the translator, you could include a simple utility that lets them cycle through each TextObject in the game, and input a translation, and send it back for you to insert into the game.

Good luck!

Doing arabic with bitmapped fonts will be very difficult. At least, if you expect it to be properly formed. I don't know if you know arabic yourself, but Windows have very complex code to properly handle it (reads mostly right-to-left - except numbers read left-to-write, letters have different forms depending on whether they're at the start, middle or end of the word, all letters are written joined, etc).

An MFC application will be relatively easy, since you can use Windows' built-in functionality, but writing it from scratch using a bitmapped font is probably out of the scope of a 2 month project...