Sign in to follow this  
llamaSong

Pygame Instalation

I am atempting to instal pygame. I am confused though on what it says in at the instaltion web page: For OSX 10.2 and aboce, binary packages are availaboe from Bob Ippolito's Package Manager repository. This package requires python 2.3, and does not work with the 'Fink' version of Python. The package and instructions are at http://undefined.org/python/pimp/ and will automatically install dependencies. Instructions for making application bundles for OS X that use pygame are forthcoming, but read up on bundlebuilder in the meantime. So I went to that link, and found 20+ different downloads. So I scrolled down to Mac OS X 10.3 (stock Python 2.3.0). Do I download and instal every thing there? Because the last time I installed pygame, I only downloaded pygame, after downloading pygame I opened up the Chimp.py example and ran, all that happened was an error stating it could not find the pygame module. So my question is do I download everything?

I got pygame running on my macos x not long ago and no I didn't have to download everything but I do remember having to download alot of separate packages and having to install them onbyone to get it working correctly!
Make sure to have Numeric, PyObjC, PIL, and the SDL development frameworks installed. If you need more just download them they aren't very big downloads and I'm using dialup.

[Edited by - daviangel on June 1, 2005 3:14:41 AM]

I downloaded the source a while ago, but I have Linux, I don't know if that matters. Since I had python installed, I just installed as per instructions and ran some games after that. There's a dependency list that isn't that long on the site. Some of it you probably won't need, like the mpeg thing. Most games just use the SDL bindings. A lot of times it's just plain easier to install from source.

[Edited by - fireside on May 30, 2005 1:14:06 PM]