Sign in to follow this  
dmreichard

Book Question

Greetings. I was wondering, in the "For Beginners" section of this website, the first book listed in the "Already a Programmer" section was "Programming Role Playing Games With DirectX". I have the second edition of this book, however the reviews highly differ for both. It seems to be mostly all positive reviews for the first edition, and quite the opposite for the second. Is this out of bias, should I beware of the second edition, or would it be an acceptable read? Thank you in advance for any input on this issue, I sure hope I didn't waste money on this book when I purchased it last year.

As far as I can tell from the reviews, it covers the RPG theory well, but the sample programs don't work well. I also have the book, and have read over some of it. The DX chapters are OK, and it does teach how to make a wrapper, or engine, over DX. I thought the chapter on scripting was well done.

Thanks for the input, perhaps it wont reach my trash pile after all. =P
Hopefully when I find a sample which doesn't compile I will have enough knowledge to fix it by then. If it has to do with the actual programming language, I shouldn't have too hard a time, but if it has to do with DirectX then I'm SOL considering I know /nothing/ about it... yet. But in any case, thanks again and to the gamedev.net community in general for being very helpful!