Sweeeet... now what the hell do I do with it?

Started by
15 comments, last by ApochPiQ 18 years, 10 months ago
I recently acquired a Sharp 4LU4EB LCD panel. It's basically as cool as all get out and was definitely worth the pittance I paid for it. Now, the question is, what do I do with it? I have no idea what to use it for (and, naturally, my geekness demands that I do in fact use it for something) and even if I knew what to do with it I wouldn't know how to go about actually doing it. I assume I'd need some kind of controller PIC to actually send signal data to it... y'know, so it'll actually display stuff. However, my ten minutes on Google extensive research hasn't provided any clues as to how to rig up such a controller or where to get the parts for it. It also doesn't solve the problem of what to use the thing for in the first place. So, for lack of sanity, I turn to the ever-resourceful lounge community to give me some advice and direction on my noble quest. At the very least it should be good for a couple of laughs.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Advertisement
um, picture? i have no idea what the hell you're talking about, but i'm sure i'm the only one :P
Quote:Original post by EtnuBwahaha. I would've shot the guy in the balls.

Rub your penis against it?

Quote:Original post by Toolmaker

I thought thats what kittens were for?
............Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?
Do you have a datasheet for it? My ten minutes on Google extensive research only turned up a shitty scan which is completely unreadable. It looks like it accepts a straight NTSC video signal, which is kind of a bummer. A serial interface would be a billion times easier to work with.

If it does just take a straight video signal, one thought that comes immediately to mind is to just hook it up to one of those little mini "spy cams." You shouldn't need any real controller that way, which would simplify things. I'll leave the posible uses for such a system to your imagination.

CM
The same datasheet was all I could find. I got it from a second-hand parts dealer site (don't recall exactly where at the moment) so it doesn't have any specs or anything with it. There's what appears to be a 28-pin input port on the back side of it, but I have no idea what kind of signal to put across it (aside from the vague mention of NTSC which you also found). I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to get an NTSC signal into a 28-pin format, especially since I have no real specs on the pin arrangement or anything like that.

I've seen mentions of the part used in GPS systems and other such devices so I'm sure there's a way to twist it to suit my own purposes...

Quote:Original post by ApochPiQ
The same datasheet was all I could find. I got it from a second-hand parts dealer site (don't recall exactly where at the moment) so it doesn't have any specs or anything with it. There's what appears to be a 28-pin input port on the back side of it, but I have no idea what kind of signal to put across it (aside from the vague mention of NTSC which you also found). I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to get an NTSC signal into a 28-pin format, especially since I have no real specs on the pin arrangement or anything like that.

I've seen mentions of the part used in GPS systems and other such devices so I'm sure there's a way to twist it to suit my own purposes...

Bummer. Then your guess is as good as mine. If nobody else has any better ideas, you may try researching other LCD screens. Perhaps you'll find one that has a similar interface, and you can work from there.

CM
Quote:Original post by lethalhamster
Quote:Original post by Toolmaker

I thought thats what kittens were for?

Hahahaha. D'oh.
WWDD? (What would doogle do?)

Punch it in it's face(display)! Unless of course you find something cool to do with it.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement