Need a Weapon Idea

Started by
18 comments, last by Sir Sapo 18 years, 10 months ago
Hey guys, I need your creative help. In my game, Angels 20 , you fly your airplane around in a 2D sidescrolling view like in Wings of Fury. You have a Cannon and you can choose 1 of 3 secondary weapons to carry on your mission. Right now the secondary weapons are Bombs, Rockets, and a Smoke Canister. My original idea was to have the player be able to drop a smoke canister, and mark a location for a large carpet bomb strike. However cool that idea may have been, it really didn't make much sense... Why carry one smoke canister and call in an airstrike when you can do it yourself and still have bombs left over? Anyways, I already have this secondary weapon slot coded into the game, and I dont want to waste it, so that is why I am coming to you guys. Does anyone have any ideas for a weapon (or device, it doesn't have to blow up :)). You guys can test out my game( to see the context the weapons are used in) by downloading the .zip from the link below. Angels 20 Feel free to leave any other suggestions regarding gameplay here as well , I'm all ears (and excuse my art, some of it is horrendous, look at the buildings...) EDIT: Forgot to give you guys the controls: Controls: Left/Right arrows - Changes Pitch in flight mode, moves left and right in hover Also used for choosing secondary weapon while on the carrier Up Arrow - Switches between gun and secondary weapon/thrust up in hover mode Down Arrow - Converts plane to either hover or flight mode(depending on current) Spacebar - fires current weapon. Up and Down Arrow at same time - Ejects (be sure to do this before hitting the ground or else you have to restart the game)
My Current Project Angels 22 (4E5)
Advertisement
Portible micro-nuclear weapons?

From,
Nice coder
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
Laser guided missiles.
The portable nuke idea, however cool it would look, still falls under the same catagory as the carpet bombs, why carry one big weapon when you can carry lots of smaller ones and do the same damage. The laser guided missiles gave me an idea: When you fire your missile, the camera follows the missile, your plane levels automatically, and you can manually fly the missile to its target. I'm afraid that this idea might make the game too easy, because you can standoff and fire your missiles from safety. I may impose a limit on how many weapons you can use in a mission to discourage that kind of play however.
1. decoy plane - small model plane you launch from your plane, it emits a radar signature to draw enemy fire. lasts for a set time (it has very small fuel tank) or when damaged by enough enemy fire

2. torpedoes - for taking out ships

3. EMP bomb - disables enemy guns/ships for a short while (1-2 secs?). also affects your plane for a shorter time (0.5 sec) everything stops moving, shooting

4. chaff/ECMs - spreads a cloud of fireworks, metal parts to confuse radar, IR tracking systems. guns, missles will be less accurate

6. Signal decoder - send out codes that identify your plane as part of the enemy - you will not be attacked. needs to be charged (to decrypt security codes) and lasts only for a few secs (enemy changes security code)
---------------Magic is real, unless declared integer.- the collected sayings of Wiz Zumwalt
Radar Jammer (stealth mode), or to borrow one from Gundam Seed(tm) an N-Jammmer (prevents the use of nuclear weapons & technology).
depthcharges against ICBMsubs?
Unless the secondary weapon is activated/operated differently the only thing that differ's is the visual appearance/effect of the weapon.

Are all your weapons controlled via one simple button push?

'It's not what you do it's the way that you do it' is a saying that applies to everything in game development and something you should say to yourself all the time when making a game.

Why not make the turrent of your guns be controllable 360 degrees via analogue/D-pad rotation and for bullet/missle range to be controlled via how long you hold down the button? or for your gun's to have a gauge on them for weather they miss/hit-I mean make a game itself out of shooting to make the whole thing more intricate/engaging-even cinematic.
Quote:Original post by JimmyShimmy
Unless the secondary weapon is activated/operated differently the only thing that differ's is the visual appearance/effect of the weapon.

Are all your weapons controlled via one simple button push?

'It's not what you do it's the way that you do it' is a saying that applies to everything in game development and something you should say to yourself all the time when making a game.

Thats a good point, even though the weapons have different damage ratings and graphics, they do pretty much the same thing once you shoot them (Bombs fall , Rockets/Bullets fly). Thats why I thought the Player Guided Missile was such a good idea because it breaks the mold of fire and forget weapons.

NAPALM

sorry, but i think that would be cool [smile]
"Are you threatening me, Master Jedi?" - Chancellor Palpatine

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement