OM: Battle Theme

Started by
5 comments, last by lyricist13gd 18 years, 9 months ago
This is my own music , Battle Theme, i need your comments and critics, thx.. u can download it at : http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/tingsihao_music.htm
Advertisement
The snare patterns need to be varied in terms of their velocities. For example, on a snare roll leading into the pulse you might set the quick notes to have an increasing velocity towards the final note of the sequence. This could make the snare pattern sound more natural at 0:50.

For a snare pattern such as the one from 0:00 to 0:50 you wouldn’t keep each hit on the same velocity. The first hit in each measure would be the strongest, thus making the second one more like an echo. When the snare moves into the next measure, the two hits (or rolls) would also use increasing velocities. I know, it sounds confusing, but I could post an example using midi if need be.

The same could be said about the timpani. The first hit in a measure should be stronger than the second one.

There seems to be something resonating out of tune in the low range (out of tune with the timpani) in the beginning rhythm.

I can appreciate your trying to do counterpoint with the horns at 0:33, however the two voices don’t seem to be playing entirely in harmony, and it sound disjointed and not supportive of the melody line. It’s difficult to explain how you could go about correcting this, but one way of looking at it is through intervals. If you manage to get the horns to play in thirds or fourths through the use of countermelody, it might come off stronger.

The horn run into 0:50 sounds a bit awkward. A neat trick is to use tremolo violins for this sort of thing, and to also be mindful of the velocities (the first note of each triplet or group of sixteenths would be stronger than the rest).
Quote:Original post by Sil
The snare patterns need to be varied in terms of their velocities. For example, on a snare roll leading into the pulse you might set the quick notes to have an increasing velocity towards the final note of the sequence. This could make the snare pattern sound more natural at 0:50.

For a snare pattern such as the one from 0:00 to 0:50 you wouldn’t keep each hit on the same velocity. The first hit in each measure would be the strongest, thus making the second one more like an echo. When the snare moves into the next measure, the two hits (or rolls) would also use increasing velocities. I know, it sounds confusing, but I could post an example using midi if need be.

The same could be said about the timpani. The first hit in a measure should be stronger than the second one.

There seems to be something resonating out of tune in the low range (out of tune with the timpani) in the beginning rhythm.

I can appreciate your trying to do counterpoint with the horns at 0:33, however the two voices don’t seem to be playing entirely in harmony, and it sound disjointed and not supportive of the melody line. It’s difficult to explain how you could go about correcting this, but one way of looking at it is through intervals. If you manage to get the horns to play in thirds or fourths through the use of countermelody, it might come off stronger.

The horn run into 0:50 sounds a bit awkward. A neat trick is to use tremolo violins for this sort of thing, and to also be mindful of the velocities (the first note of each triplet or group of sixteenths would be stronger than the rest).

Thanks for ur useful critics, i will correct them :)..
Always like to hear orchestral battle music, let's see what you have!

Okay, your biggest problem seems to be that use sequence your instruments in an unrealistic way (in an orchestral sense). The song has a very robotic, electronic feel. You need to experiment with dynamics and stuff... absolutely critical for convincing synth orchestral music.

The song was definitely cool, you just need to work on achieving a more realistic sound with your samples.
I like it; however I agree about it sounding too electronic.

Also, I think it's more journey cinematic, or sailing music because I find it a little too calm sounding to be a battle's music. Maybe make loud big thumping drums dominant in it, and symbol crashes, and it could sound a bit more like battle music?
I like it, it reminds me of some of Sakimoto and Iwata's work on Final Fantasy Tactics.
Ok, You're Trying to put together a Battle Theme. You have a great start in a sense that you have something perfect to back up some really intense melodies with possibly some trumpets complimented by maybe a french horn for that hero's call type of theme. Personally, i would say that you need some instruments playing some sticcato notes to intensify what you already have, and then you need to just fill your orchestra. Unfortunately, i'm not feeling the drive by what you have so far, fortunately, it's not over yet. You have a great set up to make something magical. You have some amazing essential background complimentary sounds going, but you need to intensify your song with some more instruments. In other words, what you need now is some instruments that are going to express the clashes, horrors, and triumphs of battle.

An example of my own is at this link. www.soundclick.com/lyricist13

Listen to my song called "RLSJr - First Anim. Demo Reel Main Theme". The last half of this song has a major battle scene style end. When you listen, make sure to listen to how i use various instruments to express an intensify feeling. I personally use trumpets for that a lot being that i use to play trumpet in highschool. I've found that trumpets are very well complimented by french horns for a hero's style song, But not for a dark foe's style song. These are some tips to help you to make your song amazing. Please post your song again so we can see your progress. If you have any questions, you know you can ask me or any of us on this site.

^_^ much luck and success! Keep up the good work!

[Edited by - lyricist13gd on July 6, 2005 9:24:24 PM]
www.reginaldlseayjr.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement