Sign in to follow this  
cao_vadio

Linux graphical programming anyone?

Hi everyone, first let me say i'm sorry if for any reason this has been asked before but it seems the search is temporarily disabled. I have some c++ programming experience mostly from small personal programs and i have switched to Linux operating system about a year ago, until now i have been doing mostly non-graphical programs with only console output and so, but i am interested in begin developing more graphical stuff. I know there are a lot of libraries that can make me jump right into the programming without really needing to understand how X-Server works and so, but i wanted to get my hands dirty, learning the basics of X like window creation and event-handling, I guess for that i must go inside Xlib and Xt, so if someone knows some decent sources of information or has worked on these things please let me now. Also, if someone is kind enough to talk about these matters online please send me a PM and we can exchange MSN or ICQ contacts. Thanks in advance for any help. Cheers cao_vadio

If your using OpenGL, there is the GLX library which is opengl API for creating windows and the such in xwindows.
I haven't used it personally so I don't know if it is low level enough for you though :P
But it might be good even as a reference if you can get your hands on the source for it :)

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
here's a reference manual for xlib:

http://doc.ddart.net/unix/x/xlib/

woah! i would suggest SDL for all your cross-platform OpenGL input handling needs.

Another option is the Daedalus engine (see sig).

If I need help on X11 programming, I usually type in the function name in google and take the first result. It usually leads to tronche.com, so if you google with 'functionname site:tronche.com' you'll always find the correct page. Those pages are more of a reference, so you'll need to know the function name already, or something similar to it to find anything.

I've also sent you a PM.

Wow, So many replies in such a short period of time, you guys are great ;)

Genjix:

I will more probably then not be using SDL later on, but since i'm just starting to learn about X and how it works i think it will be good to start from the basis specially because i believe it's better to know how the event-handling and Gfx are processed by X before jumping into a specific toolkit. Thanks for the tip.

kodeninja:

I'll be looking at GLx that's for sure ;)

rick_appleton:

Thanks for the tip on finding X11 related stuff. I might go into daedalus or some other engine when i belive i grasp the basic concepts of X programming for now i'm still not planning on writting any game or such a thing and as such i'm still interested in the more underlying stuff (X11 or Xlib Xt, they are all the same to me :) )

Thanks to all for the fast replies. I hope we can keep discussing these matters here. Again, if someone is willing to exchange ideas and knowledge about these things feel free to PM me to exchange MSN and ICQ contacts.

Cheers,

cao_vadio

P.S. - thanks to anonymous poster for the link ;)

I'd personally avoid coding in X, wxWidgets seems to be the better API out there at the moment. Qt is ok, but the Win32 version is no longer free. If you are after a more game based API, then SDL is the one you want. I suppose if you are after something very easy, then glut might do (though it's a tad limiting).