what technologies to use?

Started by
7 comments, last by scheisskopf 18 years, 10 months ago
ok, i am going to design a 3d character, which will do different animations according to something like 3d input. The thing is, i have never done anything like this before! I will be using visual c++, but i am not sure whether to use directX or opengl. I did a tutorial on using mfc/glut (simple spinning cubes), and it all seem very straight forward. It gets alot more complex now i guess, as i have designed a character in 3dsmax, and want do display it (with any possible animations), in my program, to be part of the program. so my question is what technology should i go with which is the easiest for a complete newy. i tried looking at some .obj importers / renderers for glut/mfc, but i couldn't really find anything simple and easy to use. So maybe directX is simpler for this sort of stuff? Thankyou.
Advertisement
Hi,
there're basicaly two 3D APIs. The OpenGL and MS DirectX. If you want do do it only for Windows you could go for the DirectX. It supports ther .x format. There are converters that can conver 3D studios formats to this .x format. However, i think you should start with some basic before jumping into 3D character animations. This is a little advanced topic and there is much to learn before you can move on to character animations.
Another way to go would be just take a complete 3D engine and "play" with it (but this will take some time as well, but your appi will probably look much better ;o) ). It all depends on what you're aiming at. Learn 3D programming or just accomplish your goal the easiest possible way...

Y.
You were born an ORIGINAL don't die a COPY...ASCENT SYSTEMS
Quote:just accomplish your goal the easiest possible way...

this is what i am doing..

I have four months & it's for a competition :)

and yes it's just for windows.

Is directx easier then opengl?
directx is horrible compared to OpenGL. OpenGL is cross platform and many tutorials use OpenGL as opposed to DirectX.
opengl is horrible compared to DirectX. DirectX doesn't require vendor-specific extensions and you'll get an actual SDK with working examples.

:P

-Markus-
Professional C++ and .NET developer trying to break into indie game development.
Follow my progress: http://blog.nuclex-games.com/ or Twitter - Topics: Ogre3D, Blender, game architecture tips & code snippets.
I think, four months is plenty enough (if you have the time to learn) to cope with this.

There is no straightforward answer to your question wich is easier or better OGL/DirecX, simply everyone likes something else. DX has support for input/audio/networking all in one package whereas OpenGL is just Graphics API but is basicaly platform independent. I'm using OpenGL but in your case i'd probably choose DX. But either choice is good as long as performance and learning curve is concerned.. But you have to meke the decision :)

There are also 3Dstudio .3ds file loaders, that are able to load keyframe animation data (and skeletal too probably, never worked with these in 3ds :o) ), but i've never tried those..

Y.
Quote:There are also 3Dstudio .3ds file loaders, that are able to load keyframe animation data (and skeletal too probably, never worked with these in 3ds :o) ), but i've never tried those..

could you point me to some of these? Preferably a dll or something so i don't have to worry about compiling any extra code..

i think once i have loaded a 3ds or .obj or whatever file, and run an animation, i will be alot more compfortable.

glut or directx..

thankyou guys
Ohh, well, i found this. This is a link to various 3d engines. But i'm absoloutely not sure about their quality/support..
http://cg.cs.tu-berlin.de/~ki/3del_1419_hard_dx.html

Just try google and combine these keywords :o)) :
convert 3ds to .x | 3ds file loader | keyframe anomation | skeletal animation
It is better that to point you exact likns there are tons of these :) You have to find what suits your needs best, you still have 4 months to it ;)
Y.
hmm

i have already tried google for a million different words...

and i work full time

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement