• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
paic

direct3d device in a texture manager

This topic is 4890 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm currently implementing a texture manager, and I'm stuck with this question : how to handle the pointer to the device ? at first, I did have a LPDIRECT3DDEVICE9 m_pd3dDevice member in the texture manager, with the 4 functions like OnCreate, etc. The problem is that even if I have only 1 instance of the manager (I use a singleton) the OnCreateDevice, OnDestroy will be called many times, and i'm not sure if it's right ... the second option I thought about is : I pass the pointer to the device every time I call the Load function (e.g. instead of m_pTexture = m_pTexManager->Load("texture.jpg"); I'll have m_pTexture = m_pTexManager->Load(m_pd3dDevice, "texture.jpg"); What do you think it's best ?

Advertisement
Passing a device pointer for each function call gets pretty annoying after awhile. Also, if you are trying to make a wrapper for D3D, it doesn't work too well, since all of the D3D stuff is still exposed.

I recommend that you just store it once (in your constructor or init() function), so that you can internally use it whenever you need it. Some D3DX interfaces to this - like ID3DXSprite and ID3DXFont.

hi piac,
what circlesoft says is really true. It gets annoying.
There are really a few ways you could do this... the elegant ways and then the messy ways.. having a copy of the device all over the place is really a bad idea and ideally you must only have one instance of the device.

With this said. It would be nice to just pass it as a parameter... if it's only 1 - 3 parameters. Look at how direct3d handles then ... in direct3d you will see that most of the methods take parameters and that's a good start.

I would suggest passing it down as a parameter

Quote:
Original post by Armadon
There are really a few ways you could do this... the elegant ways and then the messy ways.. having a copy of the device all over the place is really a bad idea and ideally you must only have one instance of the device.

Remember, you are not having more than one device - just multiple pointers to that device. It's not a bad idea to keep pointers to the device - just look at how all of the D3D functions work. The interfaces store references internally.

I am not sure how your graphic layer is set up but you can use a static function in your wrapped D3D class which can then be called anywhere without having to instance the class.

What I do to solve that problem as I hated having to pass it all over the place is I created a singleton graphic layer class. That class contains a function call Graphics() which is static which reports back to me a LPDIRECT3DDEVICE7 through a pointer to the instance of the singleton. This way anywhere in my engine all I need is:

#include <cGraphicLayer.h>

void SomeRenderFunctionForAUnit()
{
::Graphics()->DrawPrimitives(...)
}

The way that I'm currently implementing variables (like the Direct3D device and such) is like this:

#define TMERR_FAILEDLOAD -1
class TextureManager
{
static IDirect3DDevice9* m_pGfxDevice;
std::vector<IDirect3DTexture9*> m_Textures;
public:
TextureManager(){}
~TextureManager(){}

void RegisterGfxDevice(IDirect3DDevice9* pDevice)
{
m_pGfxDevice = pDevice;
}

HANDLE Load(const char* pFileName, TEXTURE_CREATION_INFO* pInfo)
{
IDirect3DTexture9* pTexture = 0;
D3DXCreateTextureFromFile(m_pGfxDevice, pFileName, &pTexture);
m_Textures.push_back(pTexture);
if(pTexture)
return m_Textures.size() - 1;
else
return TMERR_FAILEDLOAD;
return 0;
}
// other functions here
};

Well thats how I used to do it, I found that method a waste of time compared to what I tried to explain above.

cool, first time I get so much explicit replies, thanks a lot everyone ^^

I like the method where the texture manager keep a copy of the device internally, and you register it with a register(IDirect3DDevice9 *device) method. I think I'll go this way, it just leave me we the choice : where do I handle the registering of my manager, but that's not really a problem ^^

Anyway, thanks again ^^

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!