Sign in to follow this  
KuroKage

Help: Anything for less eyestrain

Hi, My everyday life consists of working in the computer for at least 8 hours a day. Is there anything that I need to do so that my eyes don't get too much strain? I'm not asking for no eye strain at all since it's impossible. But is there any hardware that can be attach to the monitor or something? Any tips at all regarding this subject would be greatly appreciated. THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE!!

Guest Anonymous Poster
Get a low radition/low glare monitor with a high contrast ratio. Also adjust the refresh rate to one you like.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I use a Samsung 17" (Uber thin border) Digital LCD monitor, with 500-1 contrast ratio and 12ms response time.

I can stare at this thing for 12 hours a day, and get NO eye-strain. But perhaps thats just because I was introduced to the computer at an early age (Than again, I can't bare to look at CRT monitors anymore, not even the 85Hz ones)

Hi,
for me using a LCD instead of CRT monitor helped a lot, but still there's an eyestrain. When you're looking at the monitor your eyes don't close often enough to get moist. Therefoer the pain when you work with monitors/TVs for a longer time. You should try to blink or close your eyes every now and then, that should help them to recover their natural moisture.
But ultimate solution.. Well, i don't think that something like that exist..
Hope help a bit (I'm having similar problem, but this is the only that helps to me)
Y.

get lcd
different color depth produce different eyestrain. try switching between 32 bit color and 16 bit color
place a green plant near your monitor
human eye can usually detect interlace if the refresh rate is below 60 hertz. but our brain detect interlace if the refresh rate is below 75hertz. solution; try higher refresh rate, preferebly more than 75hertz. this apply for crt though as lcd doesnt have ACTUAL refresh rate.(AFAIK)
expensive 3d cards produce better color, easy on the eye.
get eye moisterizer
get glare/guard monitor glare filter. its used by nasa.
put the monitor approx 2 feet away near your eye

Hi again,

Thanks a bunch guys. Just to clarify, LCDs are those thin monitors right? I have an LG 17" monitor but this one is a CRT.

Quote:

When you're looking at the monitor your eyes don't close often enough to get moist. Therefoer the pain when you work with monitors/TVs for a longer time. You should try to blink or close your eyes every now and then, that should help them to recover their natural moisture.

Yeah that's very much my problem. My eyes are getting to dry even if I force to close my eyes. My eyes suck big time.

So if I'm going for an LCD, which would you advice? It should at least be 17". So any recommendations? I'll check out that Samsung LCD too.

THANKS AGAIN IN ADVANCE!!

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Thanks a bunch guys. Just to clarify, LCDs are those thin monitors right?

Yes.

Quote:
So if I'm going for an LCD, which would you advice? It should at least be 17". So any recommendations? I'll check out that Samsung LCD too.

Be sure to get a LCD that accepts digital (DVI) input, and a video card that has dvi output. That removes any fuzziness that might be caused by the conversion to and from the analog signal. The quality or 'advancedness' of the card is not important for picture clarity, since the analog converter is the only part where quality would matter. Newer (and more expensive) cards do give better 3D performance and features, though.

I did extensive research and review-reading about 6 months ago when I was choosing a LCD for myself, and my conclusion was that the high-end Samsung monitors are the best, but if your budget is limited, LG is a better option (than cheap ones from Samsung for example).

There are two main types of LCD monitors, with PVA and TN type matrixes. PVA offers higher color depth and contrast, but the pixel change times are a lot slower than for the TN, so the latter is more suited for gamers.

I've used both. I went back to my CRT. LCD's have nice black's and better contrast. But they wont help your eyes. Maybe just TAKE A BREAK ONCE IN AWHILE!
Having strain on your eyes often can cause severe headaches that occur even when your away from your pc. You should always make sure to take a 5 minute break after an hour or two of staring at ANY MONITOR.

Quote:
Original post by pinacolada
As a temporary solution, see if you can turn up the refresh rate in your current CRT monitor. Anything less than 75hz drives me nuts.

Yeah, no kidding. I yell at people when I see them using 60Hz. For some reason, some people don't even notice the difference.

My two cents, ramp up the refresh rate for one. I was reading my A+ book and it said anything over 75 Hz should help prevent eyestrain, also make sure that the top of the monitor sits just below the top of your field of vision. It was also saying something about getting computer glasses. Something about how the monitor makes your eyes focus. It sits in your immidiate field of vision which is something that's not used a whole lot. You should also take breaks every hour to an hour and a half. I think that right there is probably the best thing you can do. Hope that helps

-Brandon

Hi again,

Quote:

Are you nearsighted at all? Do you wear glasses at the computer?

No.

As for the refresh rate, my monitor has 85hz. If I configure it more than that, disaster strikes. I take a break only after an hour and a half or so. It actually depends if I'm hooked or not. Sometimes, I never realize that three hours have already passed.

@geek89turbo:

You mention something about computer glasses. Can you point me to a site where there is a bit of discussion on this. It really sounds to be a better alternative since I saw the prices of LCD's and they are like 4-5 times the price of CRT's. But if the glasses are pretty affordable and does the job, I guess I'll go at it then.

THANKS AGAIN IN ADVANCE!!

Quote:

There is no fear of damage to health due to radiation or to the eyesight due to lack of display quality when using LCD monitors. In contrast to CRT devices, which emit X-rays when the electrons impinge on the fluorescent coating, LCD monitors only emit the harmless visible portion of the electromagnetic spectrum that is required to display the image. Possible affects on health due to electrical or magnetic fields such as headaches, dizziness, insomnia, sore eyes, stress, breathing problems, heart problems and lapses of concentration have only been proved at CRT workstations but not at LCD workstations.

from http://www.nec-mitsubishi.com/coremedia/generator/index,realm=Knowledge__BGArticle__Details,spec=x__be__fr,docId=56396

How much are your eyes worth to you?

Quote:
You mention something about computer glasses. Can you point me to a site where there is a bit of discussion on this. It really sounds to be a better alternative since I saw the prices of LCD's and they are like 4-5 times the price of CRT's. But if the glasses are pretty affordable and does the job, I guess I'll go at it then.

Cheap reading glasses should work. Alternatively you could get a more accurate prescription.

Google Search for 'computer glasses'

Did anyone mention that you should try and make sure the monitor isn't significantly brighter than the rest of the room? What you don't want is a bright square in the middle of a dull field of vision as your eye has trouble balancing the light levels.