Milkshape in Linux

Started by
3 comments, last by TheRealMAN11 18 years, 10 months ago
Has anyone ever heard of Milkshape running in Linux? I installed Wine and got Milkshape to install, but when it ran it complained of some missing DLL's. One of them was mfc42.dll, so I just copied that one from my Win98 box. It seems to begin to run, but then it crashes. This is the last thing it prints before the unhandled exception: warn:ver:GetVersionExA wrong OSVERSIONINFO size from app (got: 0, expected: 148 or 156) Any ideas?
I like the DARK layout!
Advertisement
I know Cedega is used to play win games on linux. It might work for milkshape.
I hate signatures.
If I'm not remembering totally wrong, GetVersionEx of the Windows API requires (according to win32 documentation) that the size-field of the OSVERSIONINFO is set before calling the API function. It would seem that the programmers of Milkshape forgot that, and Wine, apparently being more anal about it, complains. It's not really apparent if that warning is the reason it crashes ot not, though.

Does it use Direct3d for rendering? In that case, it might be the reason. Wine does not work really well with DirectX stuff yet. I have to no avail been trying to run one of my favorite games (Sim City 3000) through wine for quite some time.

If it does use OpenGL, I don't know what the problem might be. I have used a couple of OpenGL apps through wine and for the most part it worked well.
Quote:Original post by Diton9000
I know Cedega is used to play win games on linux. It might work for milkshape.

Cedega is a fork of WINE, and since WINE already has stellar OGL support I don't think it would make much difference with Milkshape.

I would take the AP's guess up with Mete Ciragan; perhaps he will work it into the next minor version of MS3D. It would be very nice for me to use it in Linux as I think it's an excellent modelling tool, but have to boot into Windows for it..
You may want to try blender.
It is foolish for a wise man to be silent, but wise for a fool.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement