Sign in to follow this  
pTymN

Database + GameDev

I've been snooping around and investigating using a full fledged DB in my game. Embedded mySQL Object prevalence What do you guys think? Also, it seems that when most new systems start having dual cores, a db server will cost practically nothing to run, and will provide great benefits. Let's start a discussion, im interested in hearing if anyone has had success using professional level tools to manage their resources and runtime object info.

To get things started:

I am currently switching my game over to using mySQL. The physics engine can be stepped through while the renderer keeps rendering. Some PHP pages let me update various information and populate my database, without having to write any "real" tools for the job.

Just remember KISS - Keep it simple stupid! Beware of needless complexity, I know it catches me out still sometimes.

Be sure that you only use a database if your project really needs one. A flat file / xml file / infile might be good enough.

I've heard developers around here using SQLite http://www.sqlite.org/ which might suit your needs.

If you are talking about webservices (which I guess you might be?) then depending on your scale MSDE, SQL Server, MySQL and Postgresql are worth looking into... Postgresql having the least prohibitive free licence out of all of them.

If you are thinking about a client / server type senario (data being held on a server) then you really do not need to embed a database in to your code, just db client stuff (adapters to connect and use the database). Though I do not think there are many circustances you would want to have a db have constant live direct access to the web from any client - so you are back to the client (your game) just telling the server stuff and consuming stuff from the server without knowing or caring the storage medium used.