Sign in to follow this  
newdev

Design and Code GBA games??

I want to learn how to design and code gba games. Im looking for engines that will help me do this, but the only one I have found is devkitadv (which i had trouble setting up). What are some gba engines out there that will help me out? Please respond, -Kyle ps: any gba design tutorials or anything like that would be awesome

There's some ARM IDE+Compiler, I think. You can get a link at the resourcesectoin at GBADev.org. (It's called HAM)

DevKitAdv, actually is easy to use. Instead of integrating it with some IDE (most probably MSVC) you should use the commandline instead. Spend some time with it, it should explain itself after you look at a few examples.

Im confused on how to run devkitadv. I believe I have it installed properly, but where do you do all of the work? When you click on the shortcut it gives a command prompt type screen. Is there no gui? i seem to be very lost.

-kyle

Guest Anonymous Poster
You use notepad. Hopefully if you've read any tutorials you will know what you will need to do to display sprites etc. (no text function like cout, remember).
Once you have done your code, you write a make.bat file and run it form the command line.
For a very easy to follow and very useful tutorial go to http://www.webbesen.dk/gba .
It takes you through everything, including setting up devkitadv.

I have not used DevKitAdv, so it may be easier than some of these posts make it sound, but I have used the HAM development kit. The IDE is pretty nice, there are several good example programs and there are some library functions that will get you going faster. There was an online book that I used a while back on jharbour.com, but I have not been able to find it online today. I am uploading it as a .zip file to my website www.scottlsmith.net/files, but it will take another 10 minutes or so. I hope this helps.

-Scott

Guest Anonymous Poster
Visual Ham also offers a command to write text to the screen. This is useful, but if you become a real GBA developer, you may be expeced to write your own engine. VHam is fine for beginners, but also try the wbesen link i gave earlier. It also gives you an easy-to-install single package for devkitadv, instead of loads of different ones.

Quote:
Original post by newdev
where is a good site to learn c++??? i have made a pong game but still am clueless to what alot of the coding is and means

-kyle

I personally learned from books, but I hear cprogramming.com is pretty good.

Going through some of this article along with DevKitAdv and a little help from noaktree (thanks again) got me a bouncing ball:

I decided to retire there and try out PocketPC application development and find it much more sane [smile]. In any case, read through some of those articles and good luck!

EDIT: Hmmmm, too late... Ah well. Before you try out anything, make a Tic Tac Toe clone using the C++ console first. For books, check out GameDev's Book Section.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Me again(I need to sign in again!).
Whilst the Pern Project is good for some, it isn't everyone's cup of tea. I think for a few simple non-scrolling games, webbesen.dk's tutorial will be great. For more advanced stuff, turn to the Pern Project.
Also, it is C, not C++, which most tutorials use. It is the language of choice, really.

Have you read the webbesen.dk/gba one a bit yet? No? Do.
At the beginning, use any plain text editor (like Notepad) to write your code. You then write a make file to show DevKitAdv where your code is, and run it from the command line. If you read the tutorial, it explains everything.

for my gba-development, i use devkitARM + libgba + msys + msvs2k3... i'm happy ;)

www.devkit.tk for devkitARM and libgba
www.mingw.org for msys

as visual studio is quite expensive if you don't already have it, i'd recoment programmers notepad from www.pnotepad.org.

If you want to follow the Webbesen tutorial, do what it says. Once you are comfotable with actually making GBA games, you can use most compilers, just using the DevKitAdv/ARM compiler.
At first, though, don't go off on your ideas of exactly what you want. It's like trying to run before you can walk.