Design and Code GBA games??

Started by
16 comments, last by das otto 18 years, 10 months ago
I want to learn how to design and code gba games. Im looking for engines that will help me do this, but the only one I have found is devkitadv (which i had trouble setting up). What are some gba engines out there that will help me out? Please respond, -Kyle ps: any gba design tutorials or anything like that would be awesome
Advertisement
There's some ARM IDE+Compiler, I think. You can get a link at the resourcesectoin at GBADev.org. (It's called HAM)

DevKitAdv, actually is easy to use. Instead of integrating it with some IDE (most probably MSVC) you should use the commandline instead. Spend some time with it, it should explain itself after you look at a few examples.
Im confused on how to run devkitadv. I believe I have it installed properly, but where do you do all of the work? When you click on the shortcut it gives a command prompt type screen. Is there no gui? i seem to be very lost.

-kyle
You use notepad. Hopefully if you've read any tutorials you will know what you will need to do to display sprites etc. (no text function like cout, remember).
Once you have done your code, you write a make.bat file and run it form the command line.
For a very easy to follow and very useful tutorial go to http://www.webbesen.dk/gba .
It takes you through everything, including setting up devkitadv.
This may be off-topic, but for an excellent text-editor geared towards programming, I recommend jEdit. Anyways, good luck.
I have not used DevKitAdv, so it may be easier than some of these posts make it sound, but I have used the HAM development kit. The IDE is pretty nice, there are several good example programs and there are some library functions that will get you going faster. There was an online book that I used a while back on jharbour.com, but I have not been able to find it online today. I am uploading it as a .zip file to my website www.scottlsmith.net/files, but it will take another 10 minutes or so. I hope this helps.

-Scott
Visual Ham also offers a command to write text to the screen. This is useful, but if you become a real GBA developer, you may be expeced to write your own engine. VHam is fine for beginners, but also try the wbesen link i gave earlier. It also gives you an easy-to-install single package for devkitadv, instead of loads of different ones.
where is a good site to learn c++??? i have made a pong game but still am clueless to what alot of the coding is and means

-kyle
Quote:Original post by newdev
where is a good site to learn c++??? i have made a pong game but still am clueless to what alot of the coding is and means

-kyle

I personally learned from books, but I hear cprogramming.com is pretty good.
What are the best books???

-kyle

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement