• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

moving in the dir you're lookin....

This topic is 4650 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Ok this is the simpliest question i have ever asked in this forum but i don't understand why adding the ViewDir multiplied by a certain amount to the position doesn't move the position along the ViewDirection...my code looks like this: D3DXVECTOR3 ViewDir; ViewDir=Cam.LookAt-Cam.Pos; ViewDir=ViewDir/sqrtf(ViewDir.x*ViewDir.x+ ViewDir.y*ViewDir.y+ ViewDir.z*ViewDir.z); if(SysKeyboard.GetKeyState(DIK_W))Cam.Pos+=ViewDir*0.001f; but i just get some strange flickering...i noticed that this flickering occurs because 1frame my triangles appear and in the next frame the triangles are gone... btw i thought that probably the D3DXVec3Normalize() function does sth wrong that's why i wrote the normalisation myself.. regards, m4gnus

Advertisement
That should work fine - although you will not move far with 0.001f as your scaler, perhaps the problem is elsewhere?

don't know...looking arounf works fine so lookat seems fine...earlier i simply moved the pos on the x and z axis for moving around and that also worked fine...so i don't know where the prob could be...but i'll post my (very simple) gameloop:

while(true) {
if(!Engine.DoMsgLoop()) break;
Engine.render();
SetCursorPos(512,380);
D3DXVECTOR3 ViewDir;
ViewDir=Cam.LookAt-Cam.Pos;
ViewDir=ViewDir/sqrtf(ViewDir.x*ViewDir.x+
ViewDir.y*ViewDir.y+
ViewDir.z*ViewDir.z);
if(SysKeyboard.GetKeyState(DIK_W))Cam.Pos+=ViewDir*0.001f;
if(SysKeyboard.GetKeyState(DIK_S))Cam.Pos.x-=0.1f;
if(SysKeyboard.GetKeyState(DIK_A))Cam.Pos.z+=0.1f;
if(SysKeyboard.GetKeyState(DIK_D))Cam.Pos.z-=0.1f;

/*if(SysKeyboard.GetKeyState(DIK_W))Cam.LookAt.x+=0.1f;
if(SysKeyboard.GetKeyState(DIK_S))Cam.LookAt.x-=0.1f;
if(SysKeyboard.GetKeyState(DIK_A))Cam.LookAt.z+=0.1f;
if(SysKeyboard.GetKeyState(DIK_D))Cam.LookAt.z-=0.1f;*/

SysMouse.GetState(&xMouse,&yMouse);
x-=xMouse/fInvXSens;
y-=yMouse/fInvYSens;
Cam.LookAt.y=sin(y);
Cam.LookAt.x=cos(x);
if(SysKeyboard.GetKeyState(DIK_ESCAPE))break;

[edit] ok i think the mistake is that i don't change LookAt while moving around... but changing it the same way i change my position does not work...LookAt get's totally messed up after some moving around[/edit]
regards,
m4gnus

Yes, hence it is a better idea to abandon the 'look at' concept of modelling a camera and instead use the other method of up, right, and look vectors (forming an axis) that can then be rotated to orientate the camera and used to create a view matrix from. It is much easier to code and work with. As an aside you can then move more easily e.g.

// move forward
cameraPos+=m_look*speed;

// move backward
cameraPos-=m_look*speed;

// move right
cameraPos+=m_right*speed;

// move left
cameraPos-=m_right*speed;

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement