Will directdraw stay around or will it disappear?

Started by
4 comments, last by Halsafar 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I am writing a program and I need to use overlay support that can only be found with direct draw. However, I don't want to write something for direct draw if it is not going to be around in the future. So, is directdraw going to continue to be a part of directx?
Advertisement
Support was dropped a long time ago, but I imagine it will always exist in the runtime files. Note I said imagine. But I don't see why Microsoft would dump it off and make all of those old-school games not work anymore. Even DOS games still run through Windows.

On the other hand, you would probably have a lot more fun with Direct3D. It supports a lot more cool effects than DirectDraw does.
well, I was hoping I could somehow do everything in direct3d, then create sort of a 2d picture of my 3d scene and just do the drawing with directdraw.
I'm not sure I understand why you need DirectDraw? You can draw images in 2D screen coordinates with Direct3D. Maybe it's my lack of knowledge, but I don't know what you mean by overlay.
no, you are right. I can do 2d stuff in direct3d. I found an example of what I wanted to do however, with directdraw and try as I may, I cannot find a similar way of doing it with direct3d. I'm gonning to keep looking around but I just wanted to make sure directdraw was an option
DirectDraw was a great idea at the time but the fact is you can make better, faster, more realistic looking 2D games simply using some TnL Vertices.

So a suggestion may be to forget your direct draw project and learn how to manipulate D3D into working the 2D for you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement