Sign in to follow this  
Abionca

Very new to game design!

I envy all you people! I have some noob questions to ask so don't be mad! I warn you ahead of time! 1. Whats a good program to start off with? Nothing to fancy something easy. 2. What is a UNIX System? 3. Is Mt Sierra College a good to start off with? I plained on going to a career college for 3 years then get a AA degree in Computer Science. I mainly want to work on MMORPG's, programing and server maintance. Any knowledge would be most apperciated!

to quote a great philosopher...the only NOOB question is a question not asked...*grin*

1) I assume you mean a good game to start off with, and you are already familiar with c/c++, assuming you are familiar with the windows api, program pong...everyones favorite game and possibly the most widely programmed game on the earth...

2) A UNIX system is a system running a unix environment...gogle UNIX and youll get more info

3) no idea. I know nothing of Mt Sierra College. I do know that regardless of the school, you need to apply yourself. You will learn more in your off time by coding whatever you want to learn than you will in actual classes, so whatever gets you motivated...I recommend a school aimed at Game programming if thats what you want to do then to acquire a generic com-sci degree...like Digipen, or Full Sail which is where i go and will graduate with a BS in November...but the same thing applies, you learn more by reading than you will from your instructors...

READ, READ CODE, CODE

anything else feel free to ask.

I would agree with Tang of the Mountain. Pong is a really good game to start
off with, it requires you to do a lot of the basic game elements such as
collision checking, sprites, movement, etc. Believe it or not, pong was the only
game i programmed before diving into 3D DirectX!

When you ask for a program to start with did you mean a program to use to accomplish some goals, or a program you should make yourself? Actually never mind go to the "For Beginners" link under "Resources" toward the top of the homepage for some starters...

I actually recommend an even easier game to start with: Tic-Tac-Toe
No, go even easier: "Pick a number between 1 and x" and "paper-scissors-rock" first. You can do those really really quick. Then Tic-Tac-Toe. Then maybe do a card game. Then a text adventure, that's a big leap. After that you can try learning graphics where you should in fact redo all those games above except with graphics. And then you'll be well on your way. Good luck!

1) A hello world program (it prints out the text hello world to the screen) - getting this working means you can get your compiler to work and can be half the battle for a newbie.
After that some common first games seem to be pong, tetris, and minesweeper clones.

Also, make sure to take a look at this forum's FAQ. Hopefully it will answer some of your questions.

2) UNIX is a portable, multi-tasking and multi-user computer operating system. Common examples of UNIX-like systems are Linux and Mac OS X (though there are many others including FreeBSD, Solaris, etc).

3) Never heard of the college, but that doesn't mean it's a bad place to go.