• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
iedoc

rotating

This topic is 4943 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

how can you get an object to rotate around the camera using gl translate?

Advertisement
im mostly using it for a third person thing, and i tried that, its probably the way, but when i did it, it worked when i started, but when i moved, the object moved a different way.

Well if you use glRotatef it will rotate the axis and hence the movement. For example if you do glRotatef(90, 0, 1, 0) now the y-axis will become the x axis. So if you do glTranslatef(0, 10, 0) you will end up moving 10 units left rather than up. You might want to translate first and then rotate ie if you are using glTranslate.

You might also want to look into glMultmatrix* and see if it might help you.

Dude, thanks, that almost worked switching the translate and rotate around. but now it won't rotate. it moves around with me, but it won't turn with me, so if i turn, it will stay.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!