• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Aiursrage2k

GUI

This topic is 4890 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am making a game using directX, woohoo. Anyway for the ingame GUI how is it usually done? Do we override the pre-made GUI (buttons, textboxs etc) to make our own custom gui. Or is usually made from scratch, IE in the case of buttons, just make a textured quad and then detect the usual behaviour (mouse over, button pressed etc). My gut feeling is that it can be done either way.

Advertisement
I've always seen it done by scratch. I've never heard of someone "overriding" the Win32 API.

BTW, the new DirectX SDK has a GUI system in the samples framework, though I hear it's a pain to work with.

Yeah, I just do everything from scratch also. I considered once trying to override Win32 as you suggested, but I came to the conclusion that it would be too much work, and not beneficial enough (although I never actually did try it...). The only pain with writing a GUI from scratch are edit boxes (at least I consider them to be tricky).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!