• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
phil05

[java] How far can Java3d go?

This topic is 4794 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

We're in the design phase of our RPG, and my 3d modelers want to do our game in 3d now instead of 2d, so I have a tough question for you: Out of all the games in the market, which can acheive what Java3d can develop without a performance hit?

Advertisement
if you want to use java you can compile it to native binary code using gcj.

therefore it will be as fast as most other languages => no performance hit!

Quote:
Original post by Genjix
if you want to use java you can compile it to native binary code using gcj.

therefore it will be as fast as most other languages => no performance hit!

I was planning the use of applets, so that wouldn't really work.

so let me get this straight. you want to make a 3D browser applet and expect some decent fps? unless there is going to be really low-res models i wouldn't suspect so. sorry.

Quote:
Original post by Genjix
so let me get this straight. you want to make a 3D browser applet and expect some decent fps? unless there is going to be really low-res models i wouldn't suspect so. sorry.

hehe yeah, I was just thinking of that. I'd have some angry players. You can buy it, but you can't play it! I origionally had the applet planned for 2d, but everyone wants 3d now. I can't resist.. my 3d modeler rocks :) I'll just use Managed DirectX w/ C# if it's going to be a desktop app.

Quote:
Original post by Genjix

Your statement is utterly wrong.

Java AgentFX runs in a browser and runs very good at that. Is there a reason you made such an utterly wrong blanket statement?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by phil05
We're in the design phase of our RPG, and my 3d modelers want to do our game in 3d now instead of 2d, so I have a tough question for you: Out of all the games in the market, which can acheive what Java3d can develop without a performance hit?

Humm... I'd stick with 2D if I were you. Good 3D games require professionals, and even they don't make great 3D games all the time. Unless, of course, you are professionals.

Saruman, thanks for showing this. It makes me want to continue persuing java now. i hate it when i'm given false information. Java continues to impress me.

[Edited by - phil05 on May 30, 2005 7:20:58 PM]

If your considering Java3D, you might also consider:
LWJGL (www.lwjgl.org)
jogl
Xith3D (http://xith.org/tiki-index.php)
JME (http://jmonkeyengine.com)

JOGL is what I'm going for. While I learn it, sure, I'll make a 2d version of the game. I'm already in the process, but I'm still converting my C# code to Java.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!