• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
InfestedFurby

Reading simultaneous keys?

This topic is 4860 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I've had this problem in several games so I thought maybe I should ask and find out whats up. I am working on a game where multiple players use a single keyboard, so I need to read up to perhaps 10 simultaneous key presses depending on the number of players. The problem is that after about 4 keys are held down my program will not detect any others. The specifics of this error change from computer to computer, and the number of keys I can read depends on the exact keys being pressed. I am currently using SDL for keyboard input, but I ran into a similar problem on an older game using Allegro on win98 (I am on XP now). Is this problem just a fact of life or is there something I am doing wrong? Thanks

Advertisement
Yes it seems very likely that that is the problem. I was worried it might be something like that. Guess I'll have to stop making games with many players on one keyboard.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!