• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jfclavette

Game programming in C#, what API ?

This topic is 4887 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, so I decided to give C# a try. What I'd like to do is write a simple 2D strategy game. Ideally, I'd like to have the GUI made with Winforms but draw to an area on the screen using some API. What I'd like to know is what API I should use. I know OpenGL quite well but am not familiar with Direct3D, and D3D would be pretty much useless since I only want to do 2D. I heard about GDI+ but do not know much about it, and I know for certain that GDI was really annoying to use. What I want:
  • Some kind of hardware acceleration.
  • The ability to do basic stuff like transparency and rotations pretty easily
  • The ability to render to only a part of the screen (something like a panel or a picturebox I suppose)

Advertisement
Why would D3D be useless again?

I you do take a look at it, make sure to examine the 'helper' part: D3DX; D3DXSprite in particular. It should make your life a bit easier.

Quote:
Original post by Telastyn
Why would D3D be useless again?

I you do take a look at it, make sure to examine the 'helper' part: D3DX; D3DXSprite in particular. It should make your life a bit easier.

Hum, yeah, I could learn D3D I guess. Looks like it's less of a PITA to set up than in C++ [grin]

Well, there is a .NET wrapper for SDL out there called SdlDotNet. I use it, and it works quite well, imho it's a lot easier to learn than D3D(which i have been trying to learn for years), I learned SdlDotNet in a few hours. SdlDotNet

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!