• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DarkMerchant

soft shadows and lighting ... in 2D!!

This topic is 4795 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

well the exclamation points may have been a bit too much...mainly because this is a question, not a demo or anything. I'm currently working on a 2D game for a class of mine. We have about a month left out of two total to work on the project. I recently just came across some threads on here about doing soft shadows and lighting using DX in 2D. I was having trouble finding any resources for doing these kinds of things, and wasn't sure if 2 - 3 weeks is a long enough period to get these features in our game. If anyone can point me to some good resources, or has any advice, it would be very much appreciated. thanks

Advertisement
I wrote a 2d game that had shadows a few months ago, for the LudumDare game programming contest.
It's a 48hr contest, so you have plenty of time!
Screenshot
The game sucked royally, but the shadows where fun to implement.

Quote:
Original post by nts
dynamic 2d soft shadows article

Can't take a guess on the time (probably depends a lot on other variables aswell), but 2-3 weeks should be enough.

hth

Took me a couple of weeks when I first tried it. But lots of that was trying different methods and ways of getting it to look 'right'.

Hey DarkMerchant,

This is coderdave (also from fullsail) - if you get stuck give me a message at surftherocks on aim or email me at dave@coderdave.net. I've done some work with shadows before and I can give ya a hand.

HEY X-OUT...

how did you go about implementing those lighting effects and what api
did you use?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!