Card Game copyrights?

Started by
3 comments, last by Mastertronic 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi Do card games like solitaire, black jack, poker etc. have any copyrights or ownerships associated with them. I presume they don't cause of all the clones out there. I just want to make sure before I try to sell my versions of them. Thanks
Try, try and fucking try again.
Advertisement
The rules don't because rules can't be copyrighted (although a book of rule would be copyright as a book). You can make you own solitaire or whatever, provided you don't use graphics or sounds from an existing version. Those things would be copyrighted.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
A few rules of play have been patented. You cannot 'tap' a card like Magic the Gathering.

However, most straight forward card games are not patented and the copywrite on most of them has expired long long ago.
The cards.dll library shipped with every version of windows, what copyrights are associated with it? What if my game is dependent on it to work?

I am aware that I can't distribute it with my game. Can my game use it without breaking any copyright laws?
Try, try and fucking try again.
if you copy someones cards. you may be in big trouble. or sounds.. like any other game,

dont worry about the rules. you can say i made them, who cares...
rules are blind. you cant see them. you cant tell.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement