• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Boruki

Scene Graphs?

This topic is 4892 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm not sure on the best way to title this question.. so I came up with scene graphs. I currently have a small engine-type-thing which renders height mapped terrain, has lil goblins that run around and attack you and stuff. A small combat (RPG style) system etc etc. But, now I'm thinking about adding in the buildings and such. What do people recommend the way forward with this is? I keep seeing stuff about scene graphs and such.. but what models do I use? I added quake 3 bsp support (took a whole 10 minutes.. bleh).. but I want to be able to walk from my terrain into a small town with buildings. What format do people use? I've seen people say stuff like md2/milkshape/3ds etc for world models.. but that seems like a lot of extra work. If you can figure out my question, and have some ideas... please let me know! Thanks, Bobo, the Clown

Advertisement
md2/milkshape/3ds have little to do with your question, if I understand it correctly. From recent posts the trend seems to be arbitray geometry for worlds.

The sceengraph is only how you organize your data, so you can perform culling and similar stuf. And there are many ways to do that. It all depends on the specific situation (indoor vs. outdor etc.)

Now for models you'll be better of defining you own format and writting an exporter for your preffered modelling package.

if you couldn't be bothered with creating your own file format, you could consider using DirectX's "X" file format ...don't worry you can use this outside of direct3d http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/xfilepc/

i would suggest to you to implement some kind of scenegraph because it really does make life easier(for the reason said above) but you can still do what you want to do without a scenegraph.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!