• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Ruudje

Creating games for mobile phones

This topic is 4741 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I'd like some advise. I'd like to start programming (games) for mobile phones. My questions: - What do you suggest? Is it easy to code for both smartphone and symbian, or should I use java instead when I want to create someting for both? - What do I need? What compiler(s), which libraries, you'll probably know what I mean. - Do you know of any great starting articles? I have plenty experience in game programming in both 2d and 3d (even 16bit vga ) and I find 2d programming by far more fun, so there's the reason I'd like to switch to mobile dev. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thnx in advance.

Advertisement
Hi Ruudje,
I am by far a begineer, but I may help a little:
1) not sure, but I like J2me. most phone support it.

2) there is a great starting article here at GameDev. in it you'll find what you need to start.
GameDev_net An Introduction to Developing for Mobile Devices Using J2ME-MIDP (Part 1)

also, try some of these:

http://developers.sun.com/techtopics/mobility/learn/midp/lifecycle/

http://www.jcodeworks.com/developersfxguide.html

http://www.codebeach.com/index.asp?tabID=2&categoryID=25&subcategoryID=-1

http://sourceforge.net/projects/j2megamingbook/

I hope this help. good luck

Nice indeed. Tnx. I have experimented a little and got it working in the emulator. Problem is, my own phone doesnt support Java (motorola mpx200). And won't Symbian / Smartphone written apps run faster? Anywayz... I have a strong disliking of Java. I'd prefer c++. I read during my "quest" that symbian and smartphone dev. can be done with c++ but I can't find ANY other info on it. Not how to compile anything, or any examples etc etc... =(

Yes my phone uses Smartphone. But I'm curious how portable code for symbian is for Smartphone and vice versa. But currently looks like I should be reading up on Smartphone and especially PocketPC dev. using evc++ ... I guess PocketPC has the future? Besides, not many games around for that one either ;) Any thoughts?

I still say mobile phones.
cheaper than PocketPC, and easier to use/carry and most people with PocketPc are pros how have little time for games. unlike the avg mobile user who can spear a few minute on the subway or in line playing games.

Well I totally agree with you on that. One thing we all agree on: mobile platforms are the future. But what bugs me about phones is that there isn't any standard for it. First off there are all the different platforms. PocketPC, Smartphone (both windows ce), Symbian, Java, and some more that are a lot like Java. Not one phone supports it all. And then there is the resolution thingy... Every phone has a different screen resolution. That means, if there is going to be a standard for graphics on phones, it should include something to stretch the view fullscreen, without messing up the graphics.

Quote:
Original post by Ruudje
But what bugs me about phones is that there isn't any standard for it.

That's the bane of the mobile developer. Two years ago I would get excited every time a new phone came out ("oooh, let's see if it supports MIDP 2.0... wow, look at that resolution!... etc.). Nowadays I just wish everyone was just using the same phone, or at least very similar models. Every time I see a new model released I die a little inside [crying].

shmoove

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!