• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
liz_c

Help: python 3d

This topic is 4740 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm a student study software des and dev, but i have only a basic grasp of programming. For my assignment ive been given the job of learning to parse, load and animate, a 3d model, using python and opengl. i have no idea what to do and i cant afford to fail this assignment. id love to understand and be able to do this properly but i haven't given the time. Is it even possible to do? or should i not even bother attempting it? Any help would be greatly appreciated any suggested reading, example code (if it's out there.)...please im getting really desperate now. my most sincere thanks for any help. liz c

Advertisement
You might want to start your search here if you haven't already: PyOpenGL.

You could also try checking out Blender's (3D modelling app) export/import plugins which are written in Python. They might give you some ideas.

Thanks, do you (or anyone else for that matter) know of any books that might help me out? Ive looked at PyOopenGl but am finding it difficult to get my head around in the short amount of time that i have, and also tutorials and information on the topic are few and far between.
Thanks again.

To be honest you're not going to get much help on 3D in Python because it's such an uncommon situation. I doubt any book exists that covers it. Your best bet is probably to find a C++ tutorial online (perhaps on NeHe and try to convert that to Python. Maybe there's already some Python code there for you. To be honest, what you're trying to achieve is quite difficult if you only have a basic grasp of programming.

yeah i realise that its a topic that is unlikely to have any easy answers especially with my level of expertise(or lack thereof) but im afraid i have no other options for my work path.
im beginning to think they gave me this task just so i would find it difficult and myself unable to complete it. As it is obviously, and im willing to admit it, outside of my programming capacity.
Thank you anyway, to anyone who has even read my posts.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!