[web] MS/SQL LIMIT

Started by
4 comments, last by chbrules 18 years, 10 months ago
As my findings have.... found, MS SQL 2000 does not have a LIMIT command for SQL queries? I tried this query:
query = "SELECT 'ProductNum', 'PartName', 'Price', 'DealerPrice', 'RetailPrice' FROM products LIMIT '" & start & "','15'"

rs.Open query, sConn
Gives me the error:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e14' 

Line 1: Incorrect syntax near '0'.
When start = 0. So MS SQL doesn't have a limit command? How can I achieve the same effect if that is true? I need to make a paging system for result queries.
-Conrad
Advertisement
The error is with the string "'0'". I am guessing that it doesn't know what to do with a string-value for a limit.
Free Mac Mini (I know, I'm a tool)
No, MS SQL just doesn't have a LIMIT function. I need an alternative people. =/
-Conrad
Ah. My bad.

Solution?
Free Mac Mini (I know, I'm a tool)
LIMIT is not standard SQL. You'll find very, very few database that support this proprietary command. In general "TOP" is the closest standard command in SQL (to select items in the middle of a query like LIMIT does, the records before it need to be determined anyway, making LIMIT with 2 parameters somewhat of a hack that simply discards the first X records as it does the query, then does a TOP like return for up to Y records found after that). To do the same thing in your environment, you can use ADO's paging and caching system to instruct your SQL provider to skip ahead X pages, and only report back Y items:

rs.CursorLocation = 3 'adUseClientrs.CursorType = 3 'adOpenStatic rs.CacheSize = 15 'We want CacheSize and PageSize to match for best efficencyrs.PageSize = 15rs.Open query, sConnrs.AbsolutePage = startPage 'The Page number where you want to start

You then read 15 records or until you reach EOF (if you read past 15 records, you'll be outside of the cache, and a request will go out to retrieve the next 15 records). AbsolutePage starts at 1 (so page 1 = 1). You can also read the rs.PageCount value to determine how many pages there are. For example if you want to go to the last page, you can simply do the above, and set AbsolutePage=PageCount.
Thanks guys!
-Conrad

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement