• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
2DamnFunky

practicing ood/oop

This topic is 4823 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there, ive searched high and low but didnt get any results so im turning to you lot for some help. Im using c++primer by prata and just learning about oop and stuff like inheritance, virtual functions, has-a and is-a etc but there is so much info shoved down your throats and to few questions to actually put the theory to practice. Are there any books which have ood problems to solve e.g. simple case studies which have possible solutions? Ive looked but everything seems to be either reference or study based with the ususal to few question problem being popular. If there are no good books or sites of such nature does anyone have any good relatively simple program ideas to put inheritance to use (ideally id like to concentrate on is a relationships and ABC classes but i dont think i can be fussy really ; ) ) Maybe a university coursework/assigment. Anything absolutely anything thanks

Advertisement
The classic example I always see is vehicles. There is a base class vehicle, then sub-categories sports car, minivan etc...You get the idea. For practice perhaps write a car dealership management thing - users can enter cars, calculate mpg etc.

You are right inthinking you should practice this stuff. I often just read stuff and not use it for so long that I forgot what I read. Good luck.

I got a very good book for you :

Thinking in C++ by Bruce Eckel

It was the first book I read when I started to learn oop.
Very good book, each subject is detailed and clear provided with good examples,
and you got excercises at the end of each chapter.

This is my recommendation for you.

Thanks for your tips and suggestions. Ill do that. Im shocked at the fact that there are no case-study books out there for such a subject. How are people meant to effectively learn good ood when they start out. Surely someone could come up with a few individual case studies that really exploit the key features of oop.

oh well.

thanks again.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I once had an technical interview session where one set of questions consisted of the OO paradigm. Admittedly, I was rusty and I never felt satisfied with the answers I gave.

From what I remember, the questions involved shapes such as circles, triangles, squares, rectangles, etc., and various properties such as area and position. We were walking through a bit of a class design with inheritance and other OOP concepts.

Anyone have links to such interview questions?

Quote:
Original post by DesignerX
I got a very good book for you :

Thinking in C++ by Bruce Eckel

I'll second that. You can also get it online for free. But think about buying a copy if you like it.

Also Design Patterns seems to be a good book, though I don't know if it is for beginners. Also a good book on the proccess of desighn is The Unified Software Development Proccess, by the guys that created UML.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!