Best Dev-C++ version to use?

Started by
7 comments, last by deadimp 18 years, 10 months ago
I naturally assume that the latest version of each program is the best. However, I have had problems with compatibility of some things with the latest version of Dev-C++. I understand that this is because of the updating of the compiler, but I was just wondering what the best version to use was. Is it, indeed, 4.9.9.2? Because I had few problems with 4.9.9.1, however, I didn't do most of the more advanced stuff, so I guess it wouldn't be too strained at that point. Anyway, I was just wondering. (Things as in Allegro, and Ogre [which specifically needs older version]...)
Advertisement
This probably won't help because I can't remember the version off the top of my head and I'm at school right now
But, I use a kinda old dev c, c++ that came with a c++ book I bought
I do have VS.6 and a newer dev c++ but I get problems with each of them when I do the same things on them I do with my older dev (including allegro)

I kinda new to programming so don't take me too seriously but if I helped any I'm glad, I wish you luck =)
/* The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing people he didn't exist */
What problems exactly?

If it has to do with your programs then it's not Dev-C++, it's GCC(the compiler). Dev-C++ is just an IDE, a shell for GCC. You can always replace the new version of GCC with an old one and still use the new features of Dev-C++ 5(at least I think you can).

I'm still using 4 because 5 is beta.

Edit: If you want a different IDE try Code::Blocks.
The latest release (4.9.9.2) is by far the most stable of the beta 5s. It comes with Mingw/GCC 3.4.2, but you can use any GCC compiler with it.

Here is the link to the Bloodshed site.
I am a signature anti-virus. Don't spread me. I must die in peace.
Quote:Original post by CSharp_Padawan
The latest release (4.9.9.2) is by far the most stable of the beta 5s. It comes with Mingw/GCC 3.4.2, but you can use any GCC compiler with it.
I agree. Never had a single problem with this release.

Quote:Original post by Vampyre_Dark
Quote:Original post by CSharp_Padawan
I agree. Never had a single problem with this release.

Then you don't know the pain of the run button breaking, along with the compile and run, and the debug buttons (all of which 'run' your application). You can use the tools to fix the running problem, but not the debugging one (gotta use the console for that). I still prefer Dev-C++ to other things I've used (even with the broken buttons).
That happens when you mess up and your program doesn't properly end itself. There is a menuitem for that with the other compile options. Not the IDE's fault, and there is actually a fix for that. (Program Reset: ALT - F2)

[Edited by - Vampyre_Dark on May 31, 2005 1:51:32 PM]
I've had problem with 4992 as well, so I personally choose 4990.
I too had some problems with 4.9.9.2, so I simply stuck with 4.9.9.2. The errors mainly pertained to DirectX.
Projects:> Thacmus - CMS (PHP 5, MySQL)Paused:> dgi> MegaMan X Crossfire

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement