where here can I go to learn java related stuff.

Started by
5 comments, last by escudo825 18 years, 10 months ago
I've been programming pascal for 2 years and java for half a year. but every thing I see here is more oriented toward c++, and I won't be learning that for a few months. BTW, love the site so far. can't wait to finally get started making games. I've had probably 4-5 game ideas sitting in my head for almost a year. and I'll finally be able to do it. :)
Advertisement
Well, I'm not sure of any central site to learn tons of Java stuff... but the principals in most anything you find here can be applied to Java. When I was at college they insisted I use Java in my programming classes. Never sat down and learned the language really. It was so similar to C++ that I just tried it the C++ way first, which worked a bit, and if it didn't, I just did a google search to find out how it's done differently.

In other words, I hope you find a nice site for Java, but don't throw away your resources here just because they're in a different language. The concepts still apply across the board.

Good luck.
----------------------------------------------------------No matter how eloquently you state your argument, the fact remains that the toilet seat is a bistable device. Therefore it's natural position is no more down than it is up.[SDL Smooth Tile Scrolling]
I've scoured this site and indeed it is very much biased to the C languages. Im not thinkin you're going to find much in the way of learning the java programming language at this website. Eventually like most programmers you'll just learn howto read C (I dont mean program in it.) and be proficient enough in your language of choice that yuo can easily convert it to what you need.I wish I could be of some help to you...

google is your friend
I've looked at c++ (the guy that sits next to me in my java class is taking c++ at the same time) and it looked very similar. I'll try that.

I do know google is my friend. I haven't found one site but I've probably (since last saturday) found a good hour of reading on the subject. and I found a book that a majority of it is available for free.
Half a year? How much did you learn? If you know things like servers / multithreading / polymorphism / DB manipulation / bit manipulation / linked lists, then I suggest you go to the java.sun.com site. I also know java very well, but there isnt really a text to read if you know advanced concepts, the best way to learn is to hang out on the java.sun.com forums and just read posts and try to understand them, or read advanced design patterns / code optimization books.

On the other hand, if you know basic concepts like inheritance and just basic syntax, you'd be better off with a book on java. Most of java is re-using other peoples classes, so the best thing to do is look at a book that shows how to use these classes.
And for what it's worth, we *do* have a Java forum here on GDnet :)
Quote:Original post by Gink
Half a year? How much did you learn? If you know things like servers / multithreading / polymorphism / DB manipulation / bit manipulation / linked lists, then I suggest you go to the java.sun.com site. I also know java very well, but there isnt really a text to read if you know advanced concepts, the best way to learn is to hang out on the java.sun.com forums and just read posts and try to understand them, or read advanced design patterns / code optimization books.

On the other hand, if you know basic concepts like inheritance and just basic syntax, you'd be better off with a book on java. Most of java is re-using other peoples classes, so the best thing to do is look at a book that shows how to use these classes.

I'm not that advanced yet. I'll probably be learning most of those in c++ next semester. guess I'll get a head start while I'm making games. I'll just study like crazy, like I've been doing since saturday. then I'll get to work. I'm hoping to make something at least as good as snake by the end of august.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement