• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Little Coding Fox

Game Source Code

This topic is 4890 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know of the source of some games whose quality is >= Cube's quality (cube.sourceforge.net)? I would like to check the source of those games to try to learn a few more stuff on Game Development. Thanks to y'all!

Advertisement
Quake
http://www.planetquake.com/qer/files.html

Quake 2
http://www.fileplanet.com/6621/0/fileinfo/Quake-II-Source-Code-v3.21

Wait a sec!
Quake was written in pure C. Ten years ago it was fine, but nowadays I wouldn't recommend learning from it, especially the design issues.

I haven't looked at it myself, but I heard Doom3 source is available, and it is following the newest standards in game programming (technologies, design and stuff).

Cheers.
/def

Quote:
Original post by deffer
Wait a sec!
Quake was written in pure C. Ten years ago it was fine, but nowadays I wouldn't recommend learning from it, especially the design issues.
The language choice isn't really all that important.
However I wouldn't recommend trying to learn from a commercial game project. Proper design isn't much of a selling point while hacking freely to get the game done in time for the deadline is.
Open source game projects on the other hand tend to put more effort into making the source look good than the graphics.

Heh, I just realized the "Cube" mentioned by OP as a point of reference IS written in pure C (not completely, 'cause it uses <vector>).

@nuno_silva_pt:
Q1 and Q2 are way too similar to the Cube, you won't learn anything new from them.

Cheers.
/def

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!