Goodbye windows, Hello Linux..

Started by
35 comments, last by Genjix 18 years, 10 months ago
Try CTRL+ESC
Advertisement
Oh yeah I finally decided to install gentoo tonight. Just downloaded the AMD 64 Install CD and the Packages as well, wish me luck! Hopefully nothing bad will happen.... :-/
Quote:Original post by Simian Man
Closed source software is like (perhaps I'm dragging the analogy into the ground) renting an apartment. You only live there, you can't change it.
Not entirely true. Closed source software is like buying a condo, since you generally don't have recurring costs associated with ownership/use (though the idea of a subscription model for general-purpose software has been floated about for quite a while, albeit generally unsuccessfully). Further, the open/closed source division is an overgeneralization; there are commercial products that deliver source and grant you the right to modify the product for local use, but not distribute your changes.

These open/closed source debates are generally underinformed and unproductive. As end users or developers, consider the pros and cons of the licensing and usage terms of the product you wish to purchase/acquire/employ and make a decision as to whether or not to buy/use on that basis. Software acquisitions, in my opinion, should be on the basis of usability and economics, not ideology and/or philosophy.

As for the upside of open source, it is simply the best common store of knowledge. Open source serves as a repository of capability, and I think it should become a natural part of the lifecycle of all software. Initial innovation should, at the innovators' prerogative, be rewarded financially. Following that, once the capability becomes common place, the core functionality should be open sourced with a commerce-friendly license, enabling a subsequent generation of innovations to build upon them.

But that's just me.
Quote:
Oh yeah I finally decided to install gentoo tonight. Just downloaded the AMD 64 Install CD and the Packages as well, wish me luck! Hopefully nothing bad will happen.... :-/

I would strongly advise against that. Anyone suggesting that a n00b should install Gentoo, is most likely a troll, trying to discourage people from getting started with Linux. Gentoo is very good if you know exactly what you are doing. But if you are unfamiliar with Linux there is a risk that you will fail with the dual boot configuration and lose data.

So please, start with something that has a more user friendly install procedure. Try Fedora or Mepis for example.

Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:

I would strongly advise against that. Anyone suggesting that a n00b should install Gentoo, is most likely a troll, trying to discourage people from getting started with Linux. Gentoo is very good if you know exactly what you are doing. But if you are unfamiliar with Linux there is a risk that you will fail with the dual boot configuration and lose data.

So please, start with something that has a more user friendly install procedure. Try Fedora or Mepis for example.

Yes, I second that. I'm on Gentoo, but I've been using Linux for almost five years now. It's just too easy to run into problems.

It's a very good distribution, but not one to get started with.

Cheers,
Drag0n
-----------------------------"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning..." -- Rich Cook"...nobody ever accused English pronounciation and spelling of being logical." -- Bjarne Stroustrup"...the war on terror is going badly because, if you where to compare it to WWII, it's like America being attacked by Japan, and responding by invading Brazil." -- Michalson
Download DamnSmallLinux to check it out, 50MB Download, LiveCD. I learned the ropes in that, then I had a go with Gentoo...succeeded, about 2 weeks after initially trying. SuSE is another one for someone new to check out, installation is a breeze so not much chance of screwing up there.

Also, IDE, I use Anjuta on my main pc, and I stick with nano combined with Ctrl-Alt-F1->6 on my laptop. Learn how to write your own makefiles though, about 5-10mins work to figure them out.
Adventures of a Pro & Hobby Games Programmer - http://neilo-gd.blogspot.com/Twitter - http://twitter.com/neilogd
I recommend Ubuntu. It's a debian based distribution and comes with most everything you'll need. It's also extremely easy to get up and running. If you want there's a live CD you can use to try it out first. The advantage of Ubuntu is that it is very clean, polished, and very often works "out of the box". It has at least on all the machines I've tried it on so far. Also, Ubuntu is very friendly if you're migrating from a Windows environment.
As others have said. Go with Ubuntu. For games, keep that windows partition around, and dual boot (ubuntu can take care of that during the install).

Now as for your development environment... sorry you are going to have to forget your VC.net days my friend. We have KDevelop and Eclipse on linux, which are decent IDEs, but I use Vim, scons, a terminal, and gcc/g++/gdb as my environment. Even though Vim is just a text editor it is vastly powerful.

Now reguarding the linux environment vs the windows environment... prepare for change. Linux/UNIX are different operating systems with different models for how they do things. I noticed you said there was no task manager... silly rabbit tricks are for kids... of course there is a task manager. But in linux you can use top, ps, kill, killall, and several other (gui) programs to manager your "rouge processes". Now I am probably repeating stuff cause I did not read the whole thread, but linux will take a little getting used.

Any who, don't expect linux to be like a windows clone.
It is foolish for a wise man to be silent, but wise for a fool.
as for msvc ide there s something called anjuta available on linux i haven t used it yet but i is said to be very good

i am working a lot with linux lately and i can tell you, it s good to have linux skills, you will more than likely need them if you plan to work in the software industrie

as for linux me and my friends are of the opinion that its code is a collection of 20- 30 year old rubbish and if they don t apply some rabbit changes within the next 5-6 years we will have worked on linux the longest time

on the other hand when you see how security aspects have been implemented on linux
in comparsion to its counterpart windows you could really get sick of windows

one could even ask yourself:"did they ever take security into consideration while developing winows"

i hope longhorn does a large step towards the linux filesystem
it s really unbelieveable how easy it is to infect windows

http://www.8ung.at/basiror/theironcross.html
Quote:Original post by Basiror
on the other hand when you see how security aspects have been implemented on linux in comparsion to its counterpart windows

And how do you see that, considering you don't have access to the Windows code?

Little known fact is that parts of the Windows source code is avaiable to certain companies (of course for some good cash), and I've heard it is not as bad as people generally assume.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement