• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
deadlydog

Gimme your game engines

This topic is 5272 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quote:
Original post by deadlydog
I've already got the game engines from Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus and Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX as examples, and the Quake 2 engine, so I do not need those ones.

As for Q2, no problem. But AFAIK the engine from TWGPG and the one from ORPGwDX are not free software. You are granted the right to use them at no charge - I believe - but not the right to distribute them.

I believe you have to verify this with the authors of these books.

Regards,

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Seriema
I never called OGRE immature. I'm talking about _finished games_ using any engine. Since OGRE just recently released 1.0 there aren't that many finished games using it. Sure there are alot of projects using it. But game projects, just as engine projects, are often started but rarely finished.

Maybe it's just me, but I would only feel an article is relevant if it's comparing engines that has proven architecture, stability, maintainability and scalability - with the most important thing: games made with it. And maybe it's just me again, but comparing full blown game engines to a rendering engine is a bit odd.

Note: <-- NOTE! --> I'm not dissing any engines here, I'm trying to sort out what would be relevant in comparing. It's still the OP's decision what will be included.

Several commercial games that use OGRE have been released already. More are in the pipeline. Read: *real* games with budgets yadda yadda.

-codeandroid

I wrote an engine for a 2d sidescroller-mario style. I could post if ya want. The engine(atleast gfx and input) is pretty much done I just have no content for the game.

Quote:
Original post by codeandroid
Several commercial games that use OGRE have been released already. More are in the pipeline. Read: *real* games with budgets yadda yadda.

Really?? Hmm.. didn't know of that. 1.0 was released so recently, but maybe if they were using it all the time and always updating then yeah that might be possible. If you know the names please post them, I'm very interested =D (the list of all projects that use OGRE is a bit big, finding finished and/or commercial among them would take to long =/ )

But still. Comparing game engines to rendering engines is still weird. But it depends on the article. If it compares "sections" of engines to each other then OGRE could be there among the Q2 renderer etc.

Yeah, as I'm discovering the more I look into it, there aren't too many complete game engines out there, besides what comes with Game Programming books. Most are just graphics engines, or just sound engines etc. I've been able to find engines for graphics (Ogre, Crystal Space, Torque, Renderware, etc), sound (FMOD), and networking (ZIG), but I haven't found any input engines. Do most of the other bigger graphics engines, such as Ogre, RenderWare, etc have built in input engines? I've looked on their websites and it doesn't really say, and I haven't had time to look through the source code for the free ones.

I'd appreciate knowing some more of the bigger (more common) sound, networking, and input engines that are out there, as well as any all-in-one game engines. Thanks guys!

Torque is a complete game engine. And so seems Crystal Space too.

OGRE comes with input support.

But pure "Input Engines", I think I've never even heard of that. They wouldn't be terribly advanced or compete with any other "input engines" really since all they do is forward information from hardware.

FMOD isn't a "sound engine", it's a sound API. And so is OpenAL.

I couldn't find anything about Zig but my guess is that it's a API too.

Normally a "engine" is something that wraps an API allowing easy use of functionality you need, sometimes (preferably) designed so that you don't even know what the underlying API is.

[Edited by - Seriema on June 2, 2005 8:52:53 PM]

A course in game programming? Damn, that is sweet. The closest we get up here at the UofS (saskatoon) is graphics. Though I imagine It's pretty close...
Assignments to make ray tracers, NPR, etc. but no mention of games :(

Quote:
Original post by deadlydog
Another question. Is the Quake 2 engine just for graphics, or is it an entire game engine?

It's definately a game engine. How else do you think Quake 2 was made? ;)
Good luck with the project

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!